10 Year Old Daughter - Tailbone Pain

My 10 year old daughter has been complaining of her tailbone hurting for about 1 1/2 months now. She has not had any falls or injuries. It hurts when she sits, stands, runs and walks. I have asked two different nurses about it and they thought it might be "growing pains" in the pelvic area. I have debated if I should take her to the doctor, because I don't think there is anything that can be done for it. Has anyone else had any trouble with tail bone pain? It seems to be getting more painful. Thanks for any suggestions or information that you might can share with me.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I am so impressed and touched that busy moms would take the time to help out someone they don't even know. I took all the advice that was given and took my daughter to the doctor. She has several bulging disc in her lower spine, along with a slipping disc. She had an Xray and a Cat-scan. We have an appointment with Scottish Rite in Dallas, on January 21st. The doctor didn't think that they would do anything yet, except for monitoring it. I am anxious to find out what the treatment will be. I think she has just learned to deal with the pain. Thanks again for all the prayers,advice, and encouragement.

I had my tailbone removed when I was about 12, but it was after a memorable fall. Similar symptoms it sounds like - it got progressively more uncomfortable for me to sit down, especially in the car. It's probably not the same damage that I had, since she hasn't fallen, but I would agree with the advice to have a doctor look at her.

My doctor used to say, "If it's nothing, it will go away. If it's something, it will stick around until you fix it." Any pain that's been around for 1 1/2 months and seems to be getting worse probably ought to be looked at. That's my thought, anyway.

I have a 14 year old daughter who recently went through the same type of thing. I also thought it must be some sort of growing pain; until she could no longer sit. She could barely move the pain was so bad. She also had a cyst from the sinus cavity beside ehr tailbone. I would definitely have it looked into.

When I was 14 yrs old I had three bulging disks in my lower back. I saw so many experts (even the same doctors the 49ers went to) and nothing conventional helped me (physical therapy, epidural, drugs of every sort). Then at 16 I found myself working for a nutritionist. To my amazement she was able to recommend supplements that "ate" the excess gel that pushes on the spine and resolve all the pain. Within two weeks I was FINE and playing soccer again. Her name is Lita Lee, Ph.D. I'm sure you can google her. Good luck to your daughter. It is miserable. She is fortunate to have a loving, supportive mother.

I agree with several of your responses so far so I will add to the list. I had a pilonidal cyst as well on my tailbone that caused great pain. I went to the minor emergency and they lanced the cyst and I have had no other pain for the last 10 years.
Check with the doctor just to be sure nothing else is going on. Good luck.
E.

You have had a lot of wonderful responses filled with great advice.
I am a chiropractor who specializes in pediatrics. Tailbone pain can be a sign of something simple, like a misalignment or something more serious like a cyst, fracture, etc...Any pain that is prolonged should always be checked. Kids rarely have pain that lasts more than a couple of days to a week. If your daughter is still complaining and it seems to be getting worse, having it evaluted by a qualified medical doctor is certainly warrated. If all tests come back negative, then you may want to consider alternatives like chiropractic, acupuncture, etc. Remember, information is knowledge and power. If you are unsure you will continue to feel anxious and worry. If you have things checked out you will have some answers and can make some decisions with your family about what direction to follow. Always follow your mothering instincts, they are rarely wrong.
If you would like more information feel free to contact me at ____@____.com
N. L

Is there a bump of any sort by her tailbone? You might check it out, because this sounds similar to when I had a pilonidal cyst by my tailbone. It just started hurting, and I was confused because it felt like I had fallen on it, but I hadn't. It got more and more painful, and there was a lump, so I thought maybe I'd gotten some kind of spider bite or something. The pain became unbearable, I went to a doctor and they told me it was a staph infection. The antibiotic didn't work and I started icing it (which I later found out was the worst thing I could have done!) and it just got worse and worse. Finally, after spiking a 103 degree fever my husband (we'd only been married 3 months - so embarrassing!) had to rush me to the hospital. They said it was a cyst, and it was infected, so they had to lance it, which was also very painful. But once it was done, I felt immediate relief. I was young, only 22, and it was awful to have my new husband see all that gross stuff coming out of a cyst on my bottom! But it made me feel so much better.

I would say get it checked out, just in case. It could be nothing, but mine got pretty painful. I couldn't even rollover in bed without being in excrutiating pain.

I hope she feels better soon!

Before you decide to let your daughter "live with the pain," I would encourage you to take her for a free consultation with Dr. Andrea Milne at A & M Wellness Centre in Arlington, ###-###-####. She treats on a "total
person" basis and is trained in chiropractic. Pain only
signals that something needs to be done to relieve it. Having worked in a doctor's office for a number of years
the best time to treat is now, especially while your daughter is younger. Don't wait until she's "an old lady"
and needs back surgery.

Thanks and have a great day!
J. Wheeler
###-###-####

You might want to check with a chiropractor. They can do x-rays and all that, and if it's something as simple as an odd twist to the tailbone, they may be able to do some adjustments.

Hi T.,

I just wanted to throw my two cents in. My dad had a car accident several years ago followed by two back surgeries. He was headed for a third, as he was in so much pain that he had trouble walking, standing, sitting, lying down . . . just being. They had told him surgery was the only way to go (he, too, had slipped discs), even though it hadn't been two years since the last one. I begged him to at least try acupuncture to see if it would help. And it did! He did not have to have surgery and is back to his tennis-playing self again. If it gets to the point of surgery, acupuncture is definitely an avenue worth pursuing.

Best to you and your family,

1 / 3