10 Wk Old Unhappy in Car Seat

We have a Graco Snugride car seat, and my 10 wk old daughter cries uncontrollably when in it. She screams, cries, tearing, red faced, fist shaking, to the point of almost gagging... it is just awful. I dread long car rides, pull over every 5-10 minutes. She can be perfectly happy before getting in the seat, and still has this reaction. My son was in the same seat and was fine. We have changed the angle by adding padding underneath the base, didn't help. We are going to try another seat. My question is, has anyone had this experience? Can a different seat make a difference? How do you know what to look for in a different seat?
thanks,
Kim

Thank you so much for all the responses. Some of you said switching car seats did make a difference, so we went ahead and bought the Britax convertible (which we were planning to get eventually anyway, when she outgrew the infant seat). It DID make a difference. We have taken several long rides and she is fine, even happy! It even LOOKS more comfortable! We had tried everything with the Graco (toys, music, I was usually sitting back there with her, sitting in the seat in the house - which she would also scream at..., talked to the doctor about possible reflux, etc), nothing else worked. We will miss the convenience of the 'bucket', but so happy that she is happy in the car now!!!!

thanks!
Kim

Have you thought that she may have some sort of stomach issue such as reflux? I know a lot of babies that have it hate the car seat because the way they sit squishes their little tummies. Just a thought!

I have not had this problem myself as of yet. I am due with my 2nd in October I hope he like his car seat like his brother did. But my mom said I hated the car seat from birth until about 1 years old. She thinks I was car sick but I think it is strange for a newborn to get car sick. I can understand a one year old but a new born? She just dealt with me crying but I could never deal with that especially at only 10 weeks of age.
Have you asked the pediatrician? My sons doc is awesome with stuff like this. Maybe you do need a new seat? Good luck!

I had the exact problem with my second daughter. It started at about nine weeks and I'm sorry to say lasted until she was acout six months old. We tried everything and decided it may have been car sickness and riding backwards. Nothing helped her unless she fell asleep, but often would wake up screaming and often threw up. We could not find anything to help, it eventually got less and less severe until it finally subsided.

its the baby not the carseat, hun. my youngest was like that. she was so distressed in the car until she was prob 18 months old. it was awful and i wanted to tear my hair out. Something about it bothers her, so, your just going to have to try your hardest to not go anywhere. SOunds ridiculous but thats that. Mine would scream like she was being stabbed on the 3 minute ride to my moms, nevermind the 30 min ride to the pediatrician. It was awful. If my hubby was there I would climb into the back and painstakenly pop a boob in her mouth to nurse for as much of the ride as possible...which was in NO WAY comfortable! we just stayed home as much as we could until she got over it, good luck!

My daughter hated the infant seat, cried for 3 months, before i switched her to a convertible seat that started at 8 lbs, still rear facing. She did great after that. If you go that route, you might want to throw your snug ride in the back of the car for carring purposes at the grocery store and such, it's kind of a pain before they can sit up.
good luck

I have the same car seat. My son doesn't generally mind riding in it, but I know he can get very hot in there this time of year. Are you keeping the seat in the house as opposed to the car (so it will stay cooler)? Also, if he's not going any where he has to be dressed upon emerging from the car, I often just take him in a diaper and dress him when we get where we're going. If you think your daughter may be too hot you could try that. Sometimes I give my son a cold, wet baby washcloth to suck on. I'm not sure he could have managed that at 10 wks, but he loves it now and it helps him stay cool and hydrated. Good luck and hopefully it's a phase that will pass!

Hi K.. I suggest you don't waste the money. My son was the exact same way until he was about 6 months old. We tried a few different seats but it didnt make any difference. The only suggestion i have is purchase some type of toy that hangs in the car to entertain him or a toy bar that plays music. Good luck.

Hi K.. I noticed a lot of people responding that you can't hang toys from the carseat bar which is true but they do make hanging toys for the headrest of the back seat or that suction cup to the window. Fisher Price also makes a kick mat that hangs over the back of the rear seat in the car with a mirror plays music has toys attatched and when the baby can kick will play music and other sounds by kicking it. There are plenty of toys out there to entertain your little one in the car.

We have that same car seat and my 15 week old loved it, until he was strong enough to pull his head up about a month ago. Since then he has hated it, not because its uncomfortable but because it doesnt let him pull himself up more. We did try our convertible carseat, but the same thing happened. We tried the Baby Einstein CD's the car, and that seems to distract him enough to make a difference.

It could be the carseat, I would suggest purchasing a convertible seat. You are going to need one sooner or later anyways. My son outgrew his infant seat by 6 months. We have the Britax Roundabout that has outstanding reviews. Our son who is now 2 1/2 loves his seat. It is very padded and comfortable for him. You could purchase a seat like that and try it out to see if it makes a difference. Also I would recommend getting a mirror or something that attaches to the seat. We had one from fisher price that had music and lights that you could turn on and off with a remote it was fabulous!
** Like another poster mentioned you are NEVER supposed to leave the bar up on the infant seat when in the car it needs to be in locked position behind the seat!!! If you have it up and get into an accident it can injure your child if it breaks. Also putting a towel in the seat like someone mentioned would not be a good idea. Changing the position that the child is in the seat could interfere with how well the seat will protect the child! The seats are made a certain way for a reason and that is the way the are safety tested!

Try a convertible seat and goodluck! :)
Also the snugride seat bases are adjustable so you shouldn't need to add pading under the base.

hi kim!!I really think this is a phase,my son who is now 13months went threw that(if you look at my history i actually asked mammasourse what to do, if you dont get alot of responses you could always look back into mine)anyway,he would cry uncontolably it was aweful!!You shouldnt get a new seat honestly it lasted probaly 2-3wks.He was 12weeks at the time so just hang in there,oh i feel for you though i hated going anywhere!!Just keep going on short rides and maybe play some kids music(we still listen to the same one i had went out and bought in hopes of calming him and he loves it!!)Good luck,hang in there-promise it will go away!!

1 / 3