10 Week Old with Green Poo. Is That Normal?

My 10 week old son has been breast and formula fed since he was born. The past week his stools have been a soupy green. He doesn't have a fever and otherwise seems fine. I know formula can make poo green, but he's taken formula for a while now and all of a sudden this is happening. Has this happened to anyone else?

It happened to us around that age, too. He had blood in his stool and it was mucousy at first. Then it was just green for a couple weeks. The docs tested his stool for everything but all was normal. He just had a stomach bug and it went away eventually.

My son is 6 months old and has only been breast fed. He has had some green stools on and off since he was born. I think it just depends on what I eat, or if his digestive system is going through a change. I have not noticed any change in my son's health or mood when he has green stools. I hope this helps!

Same thing happened to me with my little one around this time. She was exclusively breast fed and the combo of green and soupy turned out to be allergies and lactose intollerance. When seeing the lactation consultant, her first recommendation was to cut out all dairy - 100%. That helped a little but I still noticed some green tint and she would fuss at the breast at times. Turned out soy (which too often is a replacement for dairy) was another problem for her. I ended up going off all high allergins and discovered it was wheat, soy, and dairy. Once this was all out of my diet she completely changed in eating temperment and stool. :) By the way, I always ate a lot of green foods and it never changed her stool to the green and soupy it was when she had before. hope this helps.

Before you get all worried about yours son's green poop watery like that- relax and thing about how you are feeding him, are you nursing him 2x a day, then bottle feed the 2x a day or did something change in his pattern- this can just be something he is reacting too.. my son was an exclusive nursed baby, both were, and I went thru this as well. At first I freaked out, then after all the protocol of seeing his doc and worrying- was ALL FOR NOTHING.. i started noticing the change and responded well with consistency and wha-la the child was back to "normal" with pooping anyways.. Hope this helps, and like I always say.. this too shall pass.

Hello A.,

I agree with Tina and Sonny . . . my son had green poo as well and cutting my dairy consumption helped a lot (he is exclusively breasfed). There is a section in the book "Baby Matters" that talks about food allergies and the effects on babies. Quite interesting. The big picture is that if your baby has a food allergy, the food (whether you or the baby eats it) causes some changes in the way the intestine will behave. The intestine may be more permeable to the (for example) dairy protein and the food may go through the intestine more quickly and hence the green poo. Several babies may be affected by, for example, dairy products since it is not human milk and thus it is believe that green poo is normal. Hope this help!! By the way, stopping my dairy consumption surprisingly had very positive effects on myself as well.

Normal, normal, normal. I would not worry. I have 4 kids 6 and under and they all had green bm's at some point.

Like the other posters said, it could be something you ate or he could be sick. But this happened to one of my kids when I made a change in vitamins and herbs I was taking.

Green poo is very normal in babies, there is nothing to worry about.

1 / 3