10 Week Old Fights Sleep!

My daughter will be 10 wks this sat. She has silent reflux disorder but is on prevacid, and now uses soy formula. She has always had a sensitive tummy, tons of gas, but luckily it is getting better every day. My question is does anyone have any experience with their baby's fighting sleep? It seams my daughter fights to fall asleep. Lately she has to be held to fall asleep, or thinks she needs a bottle to fall asleep. She is better during the day, yest she slept for 5 hrs, (unexpectedly) Although I felt I couldn't get anything done because I might wake her up. She is completely random, for 3 nights sometimes she will go down to bed in her crib around 8:30-9:00 and last night she was awake and wouldn't go to bed until around 11:00. Some nights she sleeps through the night and others she will wake up at 2:00 a.m She gets hungrier at night and it seams like she wants to eat like every two hrs! The dr said this was ok, but I think it effects her reflux more. Lately she will just choke out of no where and start coughing. I'm wondering if she will need a stronger dose of her medication since she is getting bigger every day. I give her a bath every night, but it's not always the same time, because she gets colicky at night so you never know how our nights are going to be. I can't give her a bath when she is screaming and crying. I also have a 4 yr old, so it's hard to keep everything quiet all the time! I'm hoping this colic will stop around 3 months like everyone "says" it will. I need to know things will get better! She is a very sensitive baby, she can go from having the biggest smile and giggles to screaming, tears and all! I'm slowly learning day by day, but it's been hard. I'm thinking of buying her a aquarium toy to put in her crib to look at. I've heard sometimes that helps???? Any ideas would be great! I have also tried 1 oz of diluted chamomile tea, nd she loves it, but I don't give her that every night. That seams to help w/her colic at night sometimes! Her colic usually always stops before 12:00 a.m, so I know I'm lucky!

Buy some GRIPE Water at the health food store for the gas and get the book HEALHTY SLEEP HABITS, HAPPY CHILD. Not the best written, but excellent advise!

A 10 week old infant is still a very young baby. Going to sleep with a bottle is very common with young ones or holding them until they are asleep also frequently happens. Perhaps finding a safe way for her to sleep upright, as many have suggested, is the way to go. And babies don't always sleep throught the night for a very long time or may some nights and not others. One of the latest theories with colic is that the infant has a difficult time transitioning from wakefullness to sleep. This seems logical, as they get older they spend more time awake and their brains are like blank slates that are frantically learning as much as they can and it may be hard for their brains to calm down and relax for sleep.

Yikes, I am sorry. ou must be exhausted. My daughter also had reflux and was on prevacid AND Zantac. You can ask about doing both at the same time, which is often a very good cocktail I learned about froma drug rep.

My daughter would NOT fall asleep either until I started using The Miracle Blanket. It worked so well that we used it until she was 6 months old. The only reason I stopped using it was that I wanted her to learn to self soothe and sleep through the night. She LOVED it!

hope that helps.

Things will get better. My son was the same way. For the first
month, the only way I could get him to fall and stay asleep was to hold him. All I could do was just sit on the couch with him; I saw a lot of movies that month. Once we figured out it was reflux, it got a lot better. The reflux was making him scared of being put down.

I apologize for the length of my response but I have two types of advice to offer you, first how to help with the sleep and second how to cope with reflux overall.

Things to help cope with the sleeping -
1. Wear her in a sling or pouch. I wore my son throughout the day - it helped calm his reflux and allowed me to move about and even go grocery shopping. He would just fall asleep in it as I went about my business. Go to a local store that lets you try different brands - I highly recommend an adjustable hybrid pouch or sling; they both allow for tummy-to-tummy holds. I liked the Kangaroo Korner pouch and Lite on Shoulder hybrid sling.

2. Prop her up whenever you put her down. You could use a bouncy seat, a swing, or cushions. At night, you could prop up her crib or hold her until she falls asleep for 15-20 minutes.

3. Use white noise - try out the vacuum cleaner, blow dryer, kitchen exhaust fan, etc. Whichever works best, you can buy a cd of it and play it when you put her to sleep or to calm her in general.

My best advice to you however is to deal with reflux as a digestive disorder versus simply focusing on the stomach acid. I learned this lesson late and as a consequence am having to deal with more damage than I started with. I was so desperate to stop his suffering, I didn't realize some of the things I did to help could worsen the problem.

It's all about their digestive systems. Babies are born with incomplete digestive systems. So all the problems - gas, reflux, pooping - is dependent upon their systems maturing. Which is why most will outgrow their problems naturally as their systems mature, but there are things that can help or impede their progress.

Feeding and diet are, of course, the first culprits. I'm not sure how the formula affects her, but I do know that infants typically acquire their intestinal flora through their mother's breast milk (and a little from the environment) The correct balance of flora is key to avoiding digestive problems. Try giving her probiotics, they make an infant version for babies that's safe and natural.

Your instincts may be right about the frequent feedings aggravating the problem. It took me a while to realize that a lot of times he was feeding for comfort rather than hunger. This would soothe him temporarily, but then aggravate his reflux even more. Once, I learned to distinguish between the two, I offered him the pacifier, held him, or distracted him instead of feeding. If she's trying to fall asleep with the bottle, that suggests she's trying to comfort feed.

Be careful using drugs. Mine was prescribed Zantac, which is similar to Prevacid, they're both acid blockers. While this helped reduce his pain, it did nothing to actually fix the problem, and in some ways made it worse. His body became dependent on the drug, started producing more stomach acid to fight the drug, and thus the effectiveness of the medicine decreased. To top it off, it sometimes gave him constipation, which can also aggravate reflux. When I tried not giving him the drug, his acid attacks were even worse and more painful. He's been on it for three months now, and I'm on my third attempt to wean him off of it.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and hang in there.
P.

P.S. There are also several good website resources - you might want to try this one
http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-reflux/coping-infant-GE...

Have you ever read the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weisbluth? This is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it. This man is the children's sleep expert!! I have three children and have used this book with all three and they are great sleepers and I know it's because of what I learned from the book. Although, I haven't had issues with colicky babies etc.. like your situation, I know he wrote another book for children with these and similar issues (sorry I don't know the name of that one), but I'm sure you could google it and find out. Good Luck!!! Sleep is so vital for mommy's to be happy. I hope this helps.

The only advice that I have is that when I had 2 or 3 young children and I needed the sleep and so did they that I would let them nurse to go to sleep or have a bottle (water preferably). In time, they went to sleep on their own without the bottle (since I ususally stopped the bottle at 12 months). I think that if it helps to fall asleep then the whole family can be happy and rested. I know some people think you need more of a "routine" and say that they shouldn't need that to fall asleep but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the sleep you all need. All kids are different and what works for one won't work for another and when your child is 5 years old you won't remember the fact that you let your 10week old go to sleep with a bottle. Man, I remember nursing everynight for months just to get my child to sleep so I could get some too, and no one is judging me for it now, that is for sure.

Hope that helps a little

Dear A.,

PLEASE get a copy of Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution". She is mother of 4 and a child educator. Her website is www.pantley.com and her personal e-mail is ____@____.com She will write you back, with a help guide as well, if you e-mail her. You do not need to let your baby cry, it will get better, and there is a lot you can do to help her. It has worked for me.

Your baby sounds very normal for a baby her age. If you send me your e-mail, I can forward you the help e-mail I have from Elizabeth to get you going.

GOOD LUCK!!

L. M.
Novato

My baby doesnt have reflux, but I will tell you that she has always fought sleep, but for the most part only at night (not naptime). Some babies just do this. But since we co-sleep and I nurse here in bed it isnt usually too much of a problem. Also, not sleeping through the night is completely normal at this age and even into the toddler years for some. Some kids can do it easily, some parents have to spend a lot of time training thier babies to sleep through the night and some just dont do it until they are older toddlers.

It is totally normal for a baby to want to be held or nursed to fall asleep. It comforts them. Try to use you intution as much as possible. Mom knows. Do worry about spoiling the baby, just comfort her. She is too little to try to train her to act different than she already does. And you cant spoil a baby at this age. They usually know what they need.

do not keep everything quite as she is going to sleep. If there is noise and commotion going on she will sleep through it better.
Another decaf tea to try is mint, mint is known to settle upset stomachs and it sure worked with my son with his colic.
Try giving her naps earlier in the day, and keep her up a little later if possible. You need to get her adjusted to your schedule. If she thinks she needs a bottle in the middle of the night what about a little water?

1 / 3