10 Month Old with BAD Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!!

Okay last week I posted that my daughter has a bad diaper rash. That has cleared up for the most part (it is now at least under control) but a day after I went to the doctors with her she started another problem.
She has BADDD DIARRHEA! She is now drinking less formula which was already an issue. I guess I should start by saying she is 17lbs at 10 months, at 6 months she was 15 1/2lbs so the doctor said she needed to be gaining more weight when we went there last week. He said to give her one more bottle a day and that would help. Well the day after we were there she started with bad diarrhea, she is eating a lot less, and I am afraid she is not getting the proper nutrition. She is teething and I have heard that may cause it. Does anyone know what I could be giving her to stop her up a little bit? Or how I can help her with this problem? Should I be going back to the doctor? Please help!

Questions and comments I keep getting is that I should take her back to the doctor. I called yesterday and a nurse called back and said Pedialyte wasnt necessary... she also said that as long as she is getting some fluids she is okay. Furthermore she said that there is a virus going around! She gave me an appt for Friday!! I feel as though that is too LONG from now... But she said they are short handed.
WHAT NOW?? I dont think this is right she has had diarrhea since last wednesday!

My son went through something similar so i switched his formula to Similac Lactose FREE...and with in a day or so the diarhea had stopped. I later found out my son was lactose intolerent which caused bad diarhea!!

You should definitely be going back to the doctor TODAY, call and tell him you need an appointment today as early as possible, or take her to the emergency room. Diarrhea can bevery dangerous to a baby, especially if she’s not drinking enough liquids.

In the meanwhile, see if she’ll take some pedialite, it comes in nice flavors and that may help her with dehydration.

Please don’t wait!

If you haven't done so already... Pick up the phone and call the doctor right NOW! Diarrhea can be a very serious problem.

I'm a pharmacist, and I would never recommend anything to "make it stop" at that age, especially. She needs to be seen by the doctor ASAP! If she's on antibiotics, that can cause diarrhea but the doctor still needs to be called.

HEY C. I WOULD AT LEAST CALL THE DR.AND ASK NOW WHAT,WHY HAS THE DR.NOT ADVISED YOU TO GIVE THE BABY PEDIALYTE MIXED WITH HER FORMULA.THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD TO DO WHEN MY KIDS WERE STILL ON FORMULA AND HAD DIARRHEA OR WAS THROWING UP.HOPE THIS HELPS?

Hello,

First I would try calling the doctor to see what they say!
A baby that has diarrhea, is going to have weight loss because they are losing alot of fluids so that shouldn't be something that you should worry about right now. Just as some mom's said teething does that.

PLEASE TRY CALLING OR SEEING YOUR DOCTOR FIRST HAND!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR UNBORN CHILD AS WELL!

C.,,,hang in there, Congrats on baby #2, I know it hard...as far as baby#1...I agree with the B.R.A.T diet and the pedialyte...it doesn't hurt to call your peds office and talk to the nurse...also write down what she's eating and or drinking (keep a log) when your tired like you are it's hard to remember everything..I've been there., also try teething toast this will help with the teething and some substance in her belly. Don't give her fruit juices,,,this makes things worse.

I agree with all the advice on the BRAT diet and especially the pedialtye. Offer her unflavored Pedialyte instead of juice which can also lead to the unpleasant diarrhea. Dehydration is a side effect of diarrhea. With the dehydration comes electrolyte imbalance which may cause your precious baby to become drowsy, lethargic, confused, etc......

Teething does cause diarrhea but not more than a day or two. If she has had it for a wk there is concern. Definitely alert your pediatrician. And remember diarrhea can lead to diaper rash so maintain a clean dry diaper as much as you can.

Good luck and continue to be the conerned parent that you are. :)

Hey C.:

From reading the responses everyone has different advise. All I can tell you is what I did for my son. When he was teething he had diarreah also. Juice will only make it worse. I gave him Pedialyte to make sure he wasn't getting dehydrated (maybe like a half a bottle a day, because he was so young). The way to stop her up and put a little weight on her is to add a teaspoon of cereal to every bottle of formula. You can also try using a half of bottle of baby food bananas to one bottle of formula. I hope this info helps. It never hurts to call the doctor and ask, my son's entire doctor's office knew me by first name. Good Luck! Don't worry things will get easier.

back to the doctor right away!!! today!
Are you kidding? Diarrhea can lead to dehydration and is very dangerous in small children. Teething does not cause diarrhea, that is an old wives tale that has been proven false.

My 7 month old just got over diarrhea. She started throwing up on a saturday then Sunday started with the diarrhea. I took her to the ped on Tuesday and they too told me something was going around. Friday she was over it and everything was fine. It did take a little while to get her back into her eating habits. They said as long as she was taking in some liquids she would be fine. I know it sucks but you have to just ride it out.

C., your baby being just 10 months old anything out of the ordinary should be checked by doctors. she should be drinking around 24 oz formula a day, if she's drinking that much and a bit of solids then she's doing well. i am a worry wart about eating and weight for my girls, which makes me miserable at all times. don't let this happen to you. let her tell you how much and when otherwise the food thing will become an issue.
yes for diahreea back to doctors. that needs to be checked. in meantime bananas
good luck
V.

1 / 3