10 Month Old Still Not Sleeping at Night

My son is a healthy 10 month old. I have literally tried everything to get him to sleep thru the night. He's in the 80% for weight, so he's not underfed and even the pediatrician said he should be sleeping thru the night. He eats dinner about 6p, I give him a rice-ceral snack about 8p, an 8 oz bottle at 8:30 and he is usually up by 1a and again at 4a. We have made his room warmer, cooler, let him 'cry-it-out', tried a rice-cereal bottle, tried putting him down later at night, etc and he will STILL wake up 2-3 times a night and will not settle down until he has a bottle! We have tried letting him cry but I give in after 45 mintues (and waking up of my 3 year old). Any recommendations?? Thanks :)

I read sometimes that waking up can become a habit. Instead of offering a milk bottle in the middle of the night - try to offer a few ounces of water. The article mentioned that he will realize that it is not worth waking up for just water. Good luck to you!

Wake him up before you go to bed and night for a feeding. I did this with my children usually between 10 & 11. As soon as I started this I was good to go until 6 am.

I know its considered a no-no these days but maybe a pacifier would work if he's looking for a bottle. I used pacifiers and they were great.

Your babies waking at those times are his normal wake pattern times. He is right on target. Every baby goes through this cycle of becoming more awake every 3/4 hours. The trick for your baby is that he is not able to get himself back to sleep. This is not an uncommon problem. He is using the natural endorphins, good feelings, that are released when he drinks his bottle, to settle himself back to sleep. Are you putting him to bed at night after giving him a bottle when he's very drowsy? You must help your baby learn to put himself to sleep at night. Some babies are better at it than others. This is most commonly done by helping him learn to soothe himself by rubbing his little hands on a soft fabric, learning to relax until he becomes drowsy again. If you are putting him down while he is drowsy each night, the first time, this is your first change. He must learn to go to sleep without being half asleep already. Yes, he will do some crying because he doesn't know how to do it, he wants you to make it happen for him. You must help him learn. Rubbing his forward for a little bit or snugging him up in warm blankets or rubbing his back all are helpful. Imagine anything that would make you feel all warm and sleepy and you are on the track for him. But you must move farther and farther out of the picture until he can learn to do it himself. Go from rubbing on him to just coming in and saying something sweet to him, to nothing. This problem is not likely to take care of itself so get ready to do the mom job. He does not need the food/drink in the bottle you are giving him but instead the sucking action. So start by giving him less and less. No he won't like it, but you are teaching him something very importand and he will learn. Sometimes my babies have learned to suck on a cloth diaper to soothe themselves. Whatever makes him feel better but you should try to help him figure out what makes him feel better that he can do himself. This is why some parents to pacifers, because their baby can learn to suck on the pacifier to make themselves feel better. But if your son doesn't use a pacifier it's too late to start now. I've done one baby with and one without. I have one 8 year old who will still rub her little piece of cloth diaper between her fingers at night. She is sound asleep but if she is wrestling around and I give her the diaper she will automatically hold onto it and rub it. It soothes her and she settles back down. Each child is different so experiment with temeratures, textures, sounds... until you find what they like. Maybe he'll enjoy going to sleep with soft music and hearing it when he becomes more awake will soothe him back to sleep.

Good luck!-Nita

Hi S., my little one started sleeping for longer periods of time through the night when I placed him on his side in his infant positioner. And I would also agree with all the others that suggest putting him to bed earlier rather than later. My 6 month old goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:30 every night and routinely sleeps until 5:30 without a peep. It does sound like the opposite of what would logically make sense, but a well rested baby sleeps better than a overtired one. The bottle at night also sounds more like a habit versus a need now, maybe try a pacifier to wean him off the middle of the night feeding, then wean him from the pacifier by soothing pats if he isn't sleeping through the night by then. That was the progression my son took between 4-6 months. Good luck! No sleep is the hardest thing about being a mom I think!

I agree, Please Read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth...it's a great, must have book.

Debra M's suggestion of the book is EXACTLY what I was going to say! (It may actually be "Healthy Sleep Habits, HAPPY Child") I warn you, it's a very dry read (it'll put YOU to sleep for sure!)...but I refer to it as my other Bible. My husband thought I was nuts when I was putting our first daughter to bed at only a few months old at 6pm. She was sleeping through the night in no time though. Now she's 3 and still great about going to bed (most nights!) before 7. We'll probably have to make it abit later soon...she's growing up! I've had two more babies since then and so far the earlier bedtime is the answer for everyone. My husband even likes to brag about it now!

My son did the same thing, He slept the first 3 months of his life, and has been awake for the last 4 years. He has just now at 4 yrs started to sleep all the way through the night, Have you taken him to the doctor, because he may be having ear aches and can't tell you he also may have a hard time breathing which is making him wake up, also maybe try a sleep doctor, I wish I would have tried something sooner than I did, bc when I took my son to his pediatric doctor they would not find any thing wrong, but I finally got an appt. with a E.N.T. and found out that he had cronic ear aches, and bc my son was so used to the constant pain he thought it was normal, so maybe you sould take him in just to get checked out.

It sounds so wrong, but I second trying to put him to bed earlier. My 6 year old has always slept a lot. By the time he was supposed to be down to 2 naps a day he still took 4! He started having problems waking 4 times a night and it drove us nuts - nothing seemed to work. Until we read to put him to bed earlier - an overtired child just can't get into restful sleep. So we let him have all the naps he needed AND moved his bed time up by just 30 minutes. Just half an hour did the trick! He went from waking 4 times a night to sleeeping about 10 hours straight.

I found the "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" book to be extremely helpful. Another mom suggested it to me, and I think it could help you, too.

The first thing that popped in my head after reading your request was "Put your son to bed EARLIER". I know it seems counterintuitive, but we found it to work (it was a suggestion from the book). My son is 8 1/2 months old and goes to sleep between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. and sleeps through the night.

Another possibility is that he's teething. Have you tried a teething remedy (we use Gentle Naturals)? Occasionally when my son does wake up at night and is fussy, we give him that and he falls right back to sleep.

Good luck - I know it can be hard!

1 / 3