10 Month Old Refuses to Eat Baby Food!!

I got such positive feedback on my son's sleeping issue I thought I would ask for advice on his eating baby food issue. He is 10 months old, 11 month on March 27th. He has always been a good eater when it came to babyfood, formula, whatever until about 2-3 months ago. He has 3 mealtimes a day, morning afternoon and evening and snacks inbetween. He is happy before I put him in his high chair to eat, even while I am getting his food ready he is happy, playing with the toys on his tray. I typically give him 3 things to eat, veggies, fruits, even the occasional baby dessert. Like I said, he is happy...until he sees the bowl and knows it's time to eat. Then he starts fussing. I go to give him a bite and he take his little hand, fists it up and pushes me away with his entire arm. You may laugh(I do at times because it looks so cute), but this really does make it VERY hard for me to get food into his mouth. He hits the spoon so everything comes off, gets it on his arm and just plain prevents me from getting to him. I know he is hungry when I go to feed him. But he does this EVERYTIME I put him in his highchair to eat. He pushes me away, shakes his head, he even after a few bites start to cries, and basically throws a temper tantrum when its mealtime. I don't know what to do. I have to entertain him to eat, give him toys, tickle him, etc and that only lasts for so long before he throws another fit and I can't get anymore food into him. I have tried letting him feed himself but he just throws the bowl on the floor everytime and doesn't even attempt to feed himself. I have tried even making table food for him; mashed potatos, bananas, etc. and that doesn't work either. I even went so far as to feeding him on my lap, or even sitting on the floor with him and trying to get him to eat and nothign works. I think he is full but then 10 minutes later he is grabbing his bottle and sucking it down. Or if I am eating something he is right next to me smaking his lips for whatever I have. (He loves table/big people food but has a HORRIBLE gag reflex so he can't have but tiny pieces). I don't kwow what to do anything and to be honest with you, the fact that I can't get him to eat is stressing me out more than not getting a full night of sleep. Any advice would be greatly apreciated. I know some may say he isn't ready, but at 10, almost 11 months he should be ready. Also, table food, yes I give him some but like I mentioned earlier he only 1. Eats if it I am eating it as MY meal, not if it's made for him and 2. He can only have tiny bites because of his gag reflex on bigger bites.

Thank you EVERYONE for all the great responses and advice!! As of last Friday I started Zachary on mostly table food for meals with the occasional babyfood (the ones I know he likes!) He is adjusting. It's not 100% success yet, but he is eating more and enjoying the big boy food! =] Thanks again for everyone's advice.

I would put a spoon on his tray for him to grab. Once he has one in his hand to play with and practice with, he may allow you to feed him more. I had the same issue with my daughter. She just wanted to be the one in control of the spoon. I hope this helps,

When you say gag reflex, do you mean he is actually throwing the food up, or he just sounds like he is gagging?
My son gagged on everything, but he loved it and couldn't get enough. It took him almost two weeks to get the hang of chewing with his gums, and we always were right there, and the foods were safe, like cheerios or veggie puffs, that would dissolve.

Hello,
Sounds like he's ready for table food...I suggest you consider planning extra time and thought to the menu and the preparation of his portions by slicing and dicing or even trying a food processor. Kids are usually very clear about what they like to eat. It's not like he's doing it to vegetables he's rejecting everything. He might also be trying to tell you he thinks he's a big boy now and ready for more.They also have toddler food in jars that looks more like big people food. You might be able to hide the jars from him and camouflage his plate so that it looks like he's eating big people food. He probably just wants you to help him step up another notch and more inside of the family circle. Try that. Be blessed. Deborah....former daycare provider and mother of a 29 year-old daughter.

Hello,

hi S.,
I had this same issue with my daughter who hasn't yet turned 10 months. She refused baby food, only wanted her bottles but would beg for my food when I ate. The problem I had with giving her big girl food is that she still has NO teeth. I went to my grandmothers to stay for a couple weeks and she told me "you need to feed that baby" She gave her waffles in little pieces, Spagetti O's, mashed potatoes and broccoli, and even whole crackers and cherrios. My daughter loved it and has been eating 3 full meals and two snacks a day ever since. It was so funny because my grandma never seen a baby who was hungry and absolutly refuse baby food. But my daughter knows what she likes and can manage just fine gumming everything. Good Luck with your son.

Two weeks ago, my fiancé and I went out of town and left our 11 month old with my family. While we were gone Zaria ate mostly table food (most of which was Soul Food). Zaria was eating collard greens, corn bread, spaghetti, chicken...you name it. When we got back home, I noticed that Zaria was more willing to eat our food so we gave it to her. We did have to chop it up into small pieces (which is a drag) but she's eating. She stills dtinks out of her bottle, but loves her sippy cup. She didn't ever have a serious gag reflex so Zaria has been eating table good since she was 8 monthes old. I would buy canned vegetables, cut them up, and drop them on her highchair. I even cut the peas. But it helped her get used to eating big people vegetables and now we do not have to cut them. I know its a pain, but maybe you should feed him more table food nut cut it ip on tony pieces. You could try the chop function on a food processor to make of easy.

I am a 23 year old first time mom and graduate student with a very beautiful and active 11 month old little girl.

Hi S. -

I have three boys myself and I found that once I gave them regular food they wouldn't go back to the baby food. There's alot more flavor in regular food and it may be what he wants. I would make yourself a little bit extra and try letting him eat with you. If he's having a really hard time with reflux try chopping up whatever your having in an electric chopper and let him eat that. He's at the age he should be able to start feeding himself finger foods. Keep strong - this is a phase and it too shall pass. Good luck - S.

Oh My goodness!!! It is so nice to know that I am not the only mom who stressed over this issue. I didn't know what I was going to do. So I assumed the motto "This kid won't starve." Mother's milk or formula is meant to be their source of nutrition for the first year. Food is for fun at this point. Learning likes, dislikes, how to get it into the mouth, etc. So I started making it fun, and I gave her table foods. I was alone with my DD (now 18 months) so I learned to cook food that both of us could enjoy. Things that would cook soft enough for her to gum down like beets (I would boil them on the weekend and leave them in the fridge - she hates canned beets), peas (cut the skin off), avacado, bananas, soups - homemade on the weekend so I could control the sodium amount. She now eats like a champ, so much that some days I can't keep up with her :) Stuff that she could pick up with her little fingers and let her have the control. (This is also good for fine motor skills too).

I would suggest starting to give him small soft pieces of real food. It sounds to me like he would like to control what, where and when. my 8 month old really never took to baby food and eats with us at meal time Cut up pieces of bannana, pices of sweet potato, peas ( really soft) cooked carrots, bread etc.. Basically she eats with us at dinner and has pieces of what she is able to eat with us. She still nurses 4-6 times a day. Babies get thier nutrition from nursing and baby food then real food is to get them used to chewing and moving things from the front to the back of thier mouth.

1 / 3