10 Month Old Eating Paper

My daughter will eat any paper she can get her hands on, is this normal? I try to keep paper out of her hands but sometimes it's unavoidable. What can I do to make her stop? How dangerous is it for her to do this?

They do this. It passes. Phases.

Just take it out of her hands when she does it. Don't have to scold/punish for it. ALSO, you might want to say something like "No. Danger." Thus introducing them to the concept of what 'danger' is, and that they can get hurt. In time as they get older, then they will KNOW what "danger" means. I did this with both my kids.

Chewed up paper can be a choking hazard or get lodged in their throat, causing suffocation. Just like any food particles.
So, this is the 'danger' in it.

My kids did this too as babies. It passes.

All the best,
Susan

She is simply exhibiting her goat past life! No, seriously, this is ok, altough I wouldn't encourage it. My son ate paper at that time period too and he's fine. Although I did think about recycling him at that point too because it was so frustrating! Just try to keep it out of her hands as much as possible. And tell her no when you see her eating it and make her spit it out.

Yes, totally normal. Extra fiber, I suppose!

My son (he'll be 12 months in a couple of weeks) will sometimes eat lint and food particles he finds on the floor (much to my disgust) and also eats paper. I try to vacuum as much as I can.

I think it's normal around this age. Just try to keep it out of their hands.

Hi, L.!!

My 10 1/2 mos. old son loves paper, as well! (he'd make it a meal if I allowed it!) My two older daughters loved it too. I personally don't think there's anything _horrible_ to eating paper. However, when you notice it, take it away and redirect. Also, be sure that there are no toxic inks/paints, etc.. on the paper. You wouldn't want your little one to get sick. Of course, too, don't let her wander around and graze on it! heheh I would just try to keep it out of reach as much as possible and watch for choking, naturally. I haven't read any of the other moms' responses, so forgive me if I just repeated everything everyone else said... :-)

~L.

yes my daughter is 11 months and does the same thing, her doctor says it's normal. I try to keep everything up but sometimes she finds stuff that I didn't! I just bought a new book and left it down, I went to the bathroom, came out and she was taking huge bites out of it! They said it won't hurt her and keep telling her no and she end up understanding.

My sister had the same problem with her oldest daughter. She asked her pediatrician and was told it was no problem. It justs acts like fiber.

My 8 month old will eat any paper she can get her hands on...just as she tries to eat tons of other stuff. Her favorite is the mail.

1 / 3