10 Month Old Drinks Too Much Water???

My 10 month old daughter drinks a lot of water. When ever I give her a sippy she drains it in just a few minutes. I used to limit her to one cup a day but as it gets warmer, I want her to be able to drink if she is thirsty. How much water should a 10 month old drink? If i geve her one sippy or 10 sippys she would drain them all then pee though her diaper and clothes. She will now steal sippy cups from other kids and drink them after she has finished her own. She had a kidney infection a few months back and so they did extensive tests on her kidneys and bladder and everything seemed to be functioning normally then, but now I am wondering if this excessive thrist could be realated? what is normal for a child her age?

Although I really no nothing about this, I thought I read somewhere that thirst can be related to diabetes, even in babies? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would get it addressed by her pediatrician if you are seriously concerned. That being said...I always give my kids water, babies too, and I think it is a very good thing to do.

I agree see the doctor about diabetes, or other health problems,

My kids are big drinkers, but this is excessive even for them, please see the doctor,

M

I'd take her to your pediatrician because intense thirst as you describe is a symptom of diabetis. The fact that she had a kidney infection may be related, but you'll never know if you don't talk to your ped. You need to get to the bottom of this. Good luck!

Out of curiousity, has she been tested to see if she is diabetic? Many times insatiable thirst can be associated with elevated blood sugar levels.

Hugs,

I was always under the impression that children under 1 do not need water. They need calories, nutrients and fat. Too much water will fill up their bellies with non-nutrients. If she is genuinely thirsty, I would definitely talk to a dr. ASAP about it. HTH!

A.

Hi M.. I guess I have the question in my head as to why a 10 month old got a Kidney infection. Not being nosey just curious. Alos being a Diabetic myself, I know that one of the syptoms of Diabetes is excessive thirst and Urinary Tract Infections. I hope she has frequent checkups with a Pediatrician & Eurologist and i would definately call the Doctor with your concerns if I were you. Trust your instincts if you think something is abnormal. Just my 2 cents.

Scent-Sations Inc. Gourmet Candle Biz
Work From Home
http://www.candlelitegrove.scent-team.com

The Sample Bag
http://www.thesamplebag.com/?jrox=1017

Get her in for blood work sounds like diabetes. good luck

Have you spoken with your doctor about your daughter's excessive thirst? As a nutritionist (and a mom) I know that one of the signs/symptoms of diabetes is increased thirst (and urination). It might be good to have a simple urine test done at your pediatrician's office to see what's going on. Good luck!

M

1 / 3