10 Month Old Crying When She Has a Bowel Movement

My 10 month old has started crying everytime she goes poop. She used to strugle because her stools were pretty big for such a little girl but lately she crys uncontrolably when she poops, even though her stools are softer now. She went to the doctor today and he gave us lactose free formula to try. But she also gets upset when I am wiping her. Should I take her to a GI specialist? Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I want to fix what's wrong, becuase it is so hard to see her so upset. I have two other children and I just know this isn't normal. Any advise??

I can recommend an excellent pediatric gastroenterologist if you like. She is at the Childrens Hospital in Cincinnati but well worth the trip!

I know what you are going though my daughter went though the same thing when she was smaller then that. When I would take her to the dr. she would tell me to keep using qtips and vasaline or to use the formula or the sapostories (sorry about spelling)None of that worked. So I called around and took her to a chrioprator. They adjust their back different then they do us adults. After the 4th time going she filled her pants no hard pushing, no crying. She is now 6 and hasn't had a prob. since then. I hope this helps.
K. W.

Just a small suggestion, but something easy to try to help a little. We used to add extra water to every bottle. For the bottles, I would add around an ounce extra to every bottle she had (I did it so I wouldn't run the risk of her getting constipated) She never really had any problems, but she seemed sensitive, and a little extra water never hurt anyone. We stil do it for juice or whatever she drinks. She always gets half and half. She dosen't like water, but she will drink anything dilluted, as long as it tastes good. Also give her some fruit. Just NO banannas, they will only make it worse.

If that formula doesn't work within the next day or so I would take her to a specialist. Pooping should not be so traumatic, there is probably something wrong. Also, do you have a wipe warmer? If the wiping upsets her too warm wipes might make it a little better.

Hi there! Is your baby on any juice yet (particularly apple juice). I noticed with all my kids that their stool became much softer as they began to start on juices and baby foods like apple sauce and pears etc. Since she is ten months old, I'm sure you've been trying those things but something else that helps are stool softners (suppositories). They really helped my kids when they were babies, I still have them for when they have a hard time now. You can find them at walmart or any drug store. They look pretty big but you can break them in half. Works like a charm! I wouldn't take her to a specialist until you've tried everything else. Most specialists tend to be pretty invasive. (Just my opinion)

My oldest (now 7 yo) had trouble when he was very young with BMs. I changed formula and that didn't help after several painful weeks I finally convinced the Dr. to actually look at his bottom and he had himeroids (sp?) and that was causing his pain. Just an idea if changing the formula doesn't work! I also started using alcohol free wipes for him and and that seemed to help make diaper changes less painful for him. Good luck!

My 12 month old just recently started crying with SOME of her bowel movements. The initial one will be hard, but the rest that she cries with are soft but on the same day as the bad poopie. I've noticed that the only times that she has hard poopies is when she doesnt have all of her apple juice for the day (we used to put Karo syrup in her formula bottles-which her pediatrician reccomended)- put about a teaspoon in EVERY formula bottle and it'll soften those bad boys. you can change how much and how often based on how she responds to it the first day. her little pooper is probably sore and possibley injured. I would definately try what i just said, plus when shes struggling put 1/2 a child suppository in and see if that helps. i know how you feel though. we were out of apple juice the other day and the past two days have been difficult. when all else fails, just hold her, try to help by putting her knees to her tummy (so she can push better) and let her know that you know that shes hurting and you are there. Good luck!!

K. W.

I think you may want to take her just in case, also it's been going on a while, she may have learned to associate pain with it and even without the pain she's still thinks there migh be. My little one has the same trouble I just increased her level of liquidds through the day, watered down juice, formula and breast. It really helped and maybe if she has a fwe REALLY soft movements and you're very gentle when cleaning her then she might learn that now it doesn't hurt and there's no need to cry.

1 / 3