1 Year Old with Milk Allergy??

Hi Ladies,

I have a son who is about to turn 1 in a week. He is currently on formula but for the last week we have incorporated half his bottles with whole milk. As a result he's had loose stools which have caused a terrible diaper rash. The last 2 nights he's woken up and has stayed awake for 1-2 hrs just crying with no consoling him (this is VERY unusual for him). And only once has he vomited (not spit up.....VOMITED)

As an infant he had a milk protien allergy problem and he had to be put on nutramigen till he was 7 months old. Then we where able to put him on regular formula. I wonder if he really just cant tolerate milk period. My older son had to be put on nutramigen but eventually was able to take whole milk no prob.

He seems to be mildly fussy but not too bad. It's more the loose stools and diaper rash.

So what are my options? Should I just keep him on formula? Or try the formula for older babies? How about trying lactaid milk or rice milk? Any suggestions??

my grandson was on breast milk as a newborn, then had issues with regular formula, so they changed to Prosobee (Nutramigen was a disaster! he totally had projectile vomitting)...even with the prosobee he had reflux issues, all the way to a year old. They tried switching him to regular milk at about a year, but the same thing happened...lots of loose stools. They finally tried soy milk (Silk), and he does just fine now.

Hello M. ~ I would try soy milk...my daughter who is 5 yrs old now was diagnosed w/a dairy allergy at around 9 months...actually had an anaphylactic reaction at 6 months to whey protein in a baby cereal....I wouldn't do the rice milk right now as he is still a little young & not much protein as in the soy milk..he needs protein & calories. Hope that helps.

Try Goat's Milk. My son responded beautifully to that when he reacted to cow's milk. I didn't try the unpasturized cow's milk, though. That might work also. I would avoid soy. There is a lot if info on the internet if you want, but in a nutshell the way it is (over) processed in America takes out all the benefits naturally found in soy and causes some problems that a one year old shouldn't have to deal with.

Consult your pediatrician for one thing.
Your options would be to be very very careful if you have whole milk. Make sure it's either raw or at least organic, without any hormones or pesticides involved. Otherwise, there's soy, rice, or almond milk.

I'd ask the doctor tho, if the older formula should be used or what recommendations are available

Hi M.---I am a reformed cows milk drinker who now believes that cows milk is for baby cows. Through wellness classes I am taking from a Naturopath who has her PhD in nutrition, I've learned that cows milk is a highly allergenic substance and causes a bunch of problems in the human body. Most of them are so subtle, that milk is never looked as as a possible culprit.

But, please don't take my word for it. Please explore the website www.strongbones.org. There will be additional information at www.pcrm.org. And I would recommend reading The China Study by T Colin Campbell.

Be sure that soy milk is organic. I prefer almond as it has fewer carbs than rice milk. At 1 year of age, your baby is probably eating table foods. Dark leafy green veggies have lots of calcium. I have lots of info I could share, lists of high calcium foods, serving suggestions for different ages, shopping charts, etc. that I've collected as a result of my studies. Contact me at any time and I'd be glad to help. In fact, I would like to invite you to a health education lecture tomorrow night in Troy, MI. Dr David Phillips, Atlanda GA, will be talking about how diet impact athletic performance, but that advice is the same as for cancer prevention, etc. Let me know and I will share the details. Take care and good luck, D.

Sounds like a lactose intolerance. Try lactose free milk 1st before you go the other routes.

my daughter had problems with milk when she was small too. she also was on nutramigen for a long time. luckily, by the time she was a year she could tolerate milk. but, she has problems with other foods.
just try soy milk and see what happens. it's not going to to cost much, just the a few bucks for the soy milk. sometimes trial and error work best! if that doesn't settle well with him, i would try the formula made for 1+. he might need a few months on that to give his digestive tract time to react to the changes.
good luck!

Hello M.,

Children's digestive systems are still very immature, even at 1, so he may grow out of it in a few months, but for now, I would keep him away from milk products. I would keep him on formula for now, but if you want to try rice milk, I think that should be ok.

You should try cows milk in 4-6 months, when his digestive system is a little more mature. You could also have the peditrician run tests for a milk allergy to be sure.

I know a lot of children have a hard time with cows milk, mainly because it's designed for cows, not humans, so it can take some people a while to learn to digest it.

Good Luck.

R. Magby

1 / 3