1 Year Old Waking up at Night and Crying for an Hour or More

My one year old was sleeping through the night and actually was a great sleeper for a long time. However this past week he’s woken up in the middle of the night crying (3 times) and won’t go back to sleep. I’ve given in and gave him a bottle (8oz) which he’s drank all of (all three nights…I let him cry it out for about an hour but he wasn’t stopping and was screaming by that point). So my question is, what is going on??? Could it be a growth spurt since he chugs the whole thing down or he just started walking and is that why he’s waking up b/c of that big milestone. Either way, I can’t let him scream for 2 hours b/c I don’t want him waking up his brother. Not sure what to do…I don’t want to make eating in the middle of the night a habit either.

Thanks

I would like to say a big thank you to all those who actually tried to help! I do belive in the cry it out method and not feeding at night as I have a right too.
I'm taking him to the dr to check for an ear infection.
Again, thank to you all those helped! Those who critized, not so much.

I don't understand where the idea that feeding babies when they're hungry creates bad habits. Hungry, eat. Not hungry, don't eat. Seems pretty simple. He's hungry.... feed him.

It could be his teeth. My daughters had this problem as well. My son never did but the girls did. I would give them tylenol and then they would go back to sleep.

There is no reason to use CIO right now (well, ever). This is extremely typical behavior for a 1 year old. My champ sleeper started doing exactly the same thing and with quick internet research I found that this age is a time of growth spurt *and* they also become very aware of the outside world and sometimes when they wake they want to see what's going on and not miss out.

Sounds like baby is hungry and also needs some gentle help to get back to sleep. Leaving him to scream for an hour really doesn't accomplish either of those goals.

By meeting your child's needs you are not creating a habit. You are providing love, care and showing your child that you will always meet their needs and this creates a secure, confident child. That's pretty much our job as parents.

Feed your baby when he is hungry and gently soothe him back to sleep. This will pass just like every other bump in the baby/childhood road you will experience.

My son did this about a week ago - but cried for three hours nonstop and nothing we did soothed him. I eventually took him to the ER and it turned out he just had a really bad cold (which I knew) and basically that was all they told me. In my opinion, my 16 month son (who usually wakes maybe 1x a night) wakes up for one of these reasons:

1. Now that he's getting older, he wakes up and wants to play. Because he and his sister share a room and she doesn't like the door shut at night, I think he wakes up, can see the nightlight in the hallway and assumes it's time to get up.

2. A cold - this could be a cough, runny nose that cause post nasal drip, runny eyes which itch and wake him up or a stuffy nose that he can't breath out of

3. PAIN - from an ear infection, growing pains, hitting the side of the crib, etc.

4. Full diaper - if he won't go back to sleep I change his diaper and he'll usually fall back asleep.

5. Hunger - we have fed him a few times when he woke up but this was only about an hour after he fell asleep. Since stopping nighttime breastfeeding at 9 months we've never given him a sippie or bottle in the middle of the night.

6. Teething. Tylenol or Motrin will help.

I'm not sure - my little one is just a year old too - but my guess would be a growth spurt or teething. If he has been a good sleeper and still goes down well - I wouldn't worry about how you comfort him when he wakes. My guess would be that whenever this has passed (teeth or growth spurt) he will return to his normal pattern. Around 10 months my little one did something similar. She had always been a good sleeper, so it was really odd. I nursed her both nights and then she was back to normal. I was hesitant to do so as I didn't want to create bad habits, but it seemed to be what she needed at the time.

PS - Sorry you got some critical answers. It is disappointing that the vibe at this site seems to becoming increasingly hostile. :(

Babies learn not to trust adults who don't come when they are cried for, that's why a lot of parents don't do the cry it out method. Of course it is your choice to let your baby cry until they are screaming. The baby was probably really thirsty after screaming for, what did you say, an hour.

All kids start at about 1 year of age to wake in the middle of the night. They are having growth spurts and mental development so fast that their calorie needs/intake goes up drastically. This usually last about 2 months. They need food about every 3 hours. This can be 3 meals and 3 snacks or several more smaller meals to maintain a better balance of blood sugar. Not so many ups and downs.

Just make sure he gets enough substantial food and that he has his last food is pretty close to bed time then just be prepared. He is going to be starving in about 3-4 hours again. It will stop once his little body does it's thing.

I woudl worry about an ear infection - have the doctor check his ears. My kids never had ANY other symptoms other than night waking. Being upright helped and dirinking a bottle helped, but within a coupel hours of laying down again, thery would wake screaming.

My DD did that right about the same time. With her it was a growth spurt. She was extremely hungry. I would try and give him a snack or feed him right before bed. This is one of those things that will pass. My DD did it for about 2 weeks and then went right back to sleeping through the night.

Could he be teething? Does he have his molars yet? He could be growing, could have had a bad dream, hard to tell really. I doubt he's hungry. If he's a year and he's been sleeping through the night regularly and he's eating a normal amount each day, I really doubt he's hungry. He probably chugged it down b/c he was upset and you offered it to him.

I would probably make sure he isn't teething or doesn't have a stuffy nose or something else and maybe let him CIO. Go in the first night and reassure him that you're there, but don't pick him up and then stop going in, etc. I'm sure it will only take him a few days to get the hang of it. Sometimes they just wake up and want to party but that is not going to work, so you have to let him know that it's not play time.

1 / 3