1 Year Old W/ Food Allergies.

Hi moms. I need some information and maybe even some reassurance.
When I thought about weaning my son, Jack, at 6 months he ended up in the ER. He had eaten less than an ounce of formula and broke out in hives all over his face, neck and arms. He has had a patch of eczema on his cheek ever since. At my niece's birthday party she was drinking milk in a sippy cup and gave him a kiss. He broke out and his eyes started to swell. We knew that he probably had a milk allergy. On a plane trip when he was 11 mos old, I was eating some peanuts. I gave him some of his puffs in the same hand that had touched the nuts and his face broke out. So, I suspected he might be allergic to peanuts. The Dr told me that we could test him at 1 for allergies, but they aren't conclusive before that age.
Last week he had his blood test done and today the Dr called me with the results. He said that they are on a scale of 0-6, 6 being the worst. Jack had a 5 on Milk and Peanuts, a 3 on Eggs and Dogs, and a 2 on Soy and Wheat. I can't help be feel upset. My poor baby!
I am still nursing him because I didn't know what to wean him to. He actually seems to tolerate soy, wheat and eggs which is really confusing to me! I don't know if the lower numbers on the allergy scale mean that it's ok to give them to him or not. The Dr just told me not to give him anything I haven't already given him until after we meet with an allergist.
I never cut dairy or nuts out of my diet and I'm wondering if it's my fault... do you think these things thru my breastmilk caused him to have these allergies?
I'm stressed out about how to cook for a toddler who is allergic to so many things.
I'm worried about him being around other kids who do eat these things and having an "accident". Today he picked up a little girl's sippy cup and put it in his mouth. THANK GOD there was only water in it!

Can anyone give me the names of products and cookbooks that are dairy and nut free? Also, does anyone know what you would substitute for butter when you are cooking?
Anyone want to share success stories of their kids outgrowing these allergies? Tips on how to help kids outgrow them??

I just think the more information I could get the better I would feel...

My son (who's now 5), also has food allergies. He's allergic to tree nuts, egg, plus seasonal allergies. I have been told by many doctors and other parents facing the same thing, that is very common for kids to out grow food allergies. My friends son, (also 5), was allergic to milk, eggs & peanuts when he was 1 year old. After eating peanuts, he actually ended up in the emergency room. Now he is only allergic to peanuts.

One thing I just found out though from a MOPS meeting (the presenter was an EMT), the first allergic reaction is usually the most minor. He went on the say that the allergies that you need to watch out for the most are the ones that when they ingest something and then break out in a rash all over their bodies (that's the one that causes the most concern). Allergy reactions that are topical (re: my son when he touches raw eggs and then his face; his face will break out in a rash and welts), don't cause as much of a concern and they may possibly grow out of them.

The hardest thing for me, is that my son is not allergic to peanuts, but is allergic to tree nuts. When I tell people he has a nut allergy, they usually tell me to try using cashew butter instead of peanut butter, they don't understand it's not a peanut problem. What if he's somewhere and they don't understand this and give him a cookie or granola bar with cashews or almonds.

My son has had both the blood test and the pin prick test (when he was 4 years old). We were told by the allergist to come back in 1 year to be retested, because things change. I don't think there is anything you can do to help them outgrow the allergies, except protect them from what they are allergic to.

Do you have an EpiPen? I first that getting one was a little unnessary, but after listening to the EMT presentation, I'll very glad I have one!

My daughter had HORRIBLE reactions to milk when she was about 11 months old. I took her to see a NAET Practitioner and after a few treatments it was like night and day. She can now (at 3 years old) drink milk every day with NO issues. I took her to see Dr. David at Shawnee Mission Parkway and Roe ave. www.askdoctordavid.com The NAET treatments eliminated the allergy entirely. I highly recommend it.

I know this is difficult for you and your family, but it can be done and is quite an adventure! Our son is also allergic to gluten (wheat, oats, barley, rye), casein (dairy), eggs, soy and about 20 other things. You are very lucky to have discovered this so early! There is a wonderful book by Lisa Lewis (actually a couple)called Special Diets for Special Kids. Now, this is specifically written for the GFCF diet (gluten free, casein free) that a lot of our kids with autism are on as they are most all allergic to these things. Don't panic - I'm sure your child is just plain allergic and not on the autism spectrum. But, anyway, there is a lot of work already done out there. There is also a yahoo group or two or seven - GFCF Recipes, there is TACA and several others. Just type in gluten free casein free diet and see what comes up. It is a whole new way of cooking. As for your question, my advice would be no, do not give him anything at all he reacted to as that can actually make the allergy worse! Almond milk, hemp milk, rice milk and a potato based milk (DariFree) work at our house. We also use coconut oil in place of butter. For some kids that are super sensitive, the brand may make a difference (ie, if it has barley malt in it - oops gluten!)Good luck and feel free to contact me for yummy recipes!!

M. in Anderson

K. -

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. My son has a small intollerance to milk, but his girlfriend (yes, she is 2 days younger than him and they are inseprabable) has severe milk and egg allergies. Her mom found a great cookbook online that might be helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Free-Egg-Free-Nut-Free-Allergy.... Another good cookbook is: www.dairyfreeeggfreekidpleasingcookbook.com. There's also a great website that you might like: www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. This might be helpful to you. She also had to make brightly colored labels for her sippy cup, diaper bag and clothing (puts them on her back) to alert other care providers to her allergy. This has helped a lot!

BTW - YOU DID NOT CAUSE THIS. Some kids are just prone to allergies...it has nothing to do with you or what you ate while nursing. There are special formulas that you can switch your LO to if you want to wean him. If he tollerates soy okay, you can give him soy formula...just try a few things until you find the right combination...just stay away from the things you know are severe. :)

Hope this helps,

K.: You are exactly where I was with my wonderful now 7 year old boy. I nursed my son and we have multiple breathing issues, excema, etc. until he was 11 months old when I gave him whole milk. He had a severe allergic reaction and was tested to be allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, cats and dogs with a possible shellfish allergy. Reading labels is tricky. Egg is also known as albumen and he may be allergic to the milk protein, casein, and not be lactose intolerant. My son loved Vance's Dari-free milk the best. I like it because is is powdered and you make as much as you need. It comes in chocolate too which tastes like cocoa. It is also just as nutritious as whole milk so you don't lose the vitamins, etc. that you get from whole milk. Our son thankfully did outgrow his milk allergy at age 6 so he loves to eat ice cream. But there are some very good soy ice creams that are great substitutes. We were never able to find any good cheeses with the exception of soy cream cheese and soy sour cream. We didn't like any of the others. Michael also liked Silk in chocolate and at Christmas you can get Silk Nog - which is egg and milk free. If he is in day care, you need to work closely with the day care personnel so that milk is not available for him to accidently pick up. Also the day care providers need to be very careful with washing the children's faces and hands after they drink milk so they don't cause your son to react. We had the same issues. Peanuts are pretty easy to avoid. While Michael was little, we just kept peanut items out of our house. When he was older and understood the depth of his allergy, my husband and other son love peanut butter so it came back to the house. With regard to egg, I have never found a good substitute for egg. I do most of my own cooking because there is not much you can get that is prepackaged that is safe unless you are shopping at a health food store and the food is pretty pricey. You just need to get back to basics. You can use Bisquick to make pancakes - just add a little more baking soda and a little sugar to sweeten it, leave out the eggs and off you go. You can also use some Duncan Hines cake mixes (some do have milk added so you have to read the label) and for chocolate cake, just use mix and a can of Coca Cola. Instant safe cake. I wouldn't worry too much about the dog, wheat or soy unless he starts to have a rash or reacts. We have had cats and dogs since Michael was born and he plays with them all the time. Occasionally, you will have a break through rash but usually Benadryl takes care of it. Michael did develop allergy induced asthma so we do keep medicine available at all times for that issue. He tends to have breakthroughs at the peak allergy seasons in the year, early spring and late fall. Mostly this manifests itself as a runny nose. Michael has become very aware of what he can eat and can't eat. Just make sure other parents and care givers have checked with you before feeding him something you have not approved. You will get real adept at reading labels and sometimes it scares you what they put in our food. I was in your shoes and scared to death but after about a year, we settled down and Michael has been fine. We have been blessed with good caregivers and school personnel. School is another issue but at least you have a few years before you have to deal with it.

Just to add one last thing, please be very aware of the CASEIN or CASEINATE (milk protein) allergy. I noted a few people were suggesting products that do contain casein. My son was allergic to casein so all of these products are not safe even though they say dairy free. They must be casein free and you will have to read the label to find that out.
If I can give you more information, please let me know. I would be glad to help any way I can. D.

You can use the milk that is lactose free for him to drink, I have heard of alot of mothers using that for their little ones. I hope your lucky enough that he outgrows it quickly. Sorry I can't offer any help with the cooking part as I have had no experience in that area at all. Diana Z

Once you get familiar with the safe products and get into a routine of reading labels, it will get easier and seem more manageable. My son started getting ear infections and mild eczema when he started eating solids. The allergy blood test showed him as having a severe allergy to dogs and a mild allergy to cats, peanuts and eggs. I also suspect that he is sensitive to cow's milk because he started getting chronic ear infections when I weaned him completely so we give him soy milk instead. You could try giving him rice milk if you want to wean him. I think the brand is called Rice Dream. Trader Joe's has Sunflower Seed Butter (aka Sun Butter) which is really good - very close in taste and texture to peanut butter. The organic section at Dierbergs also has some brands that are allergen free - usually free of gluten, eggs and nuts. Olive oil and flax seed oil (for baking) are some alternatives for butter.

The allergist should be able to point you to a nutritionist who can help with the food ideas. There is no guarantee that your child will outgrow these allergies but it is not your fault in any way, it just happens. I was a child who was allergic to milk and other things as a child, I was lucky as to I can tolerate some now but it is just a lifestyle choice plus I've never had some of the items so I don't miss them. It will take some research but you will be fine.

I have a son with milk/soy and lots more allergies. There lost of butter (not real butter) does not contain Dairy just soy. Olive Oil, Canola Oil is good to use. At Hy-vee Health food section. There is a lot of things with dairy and nut free allergies for you to buy. We do though use Oat Milk. It the closet thing we found to tasting like Milk and my son loves it. I do not recommend Soy for your son. Our Dr. say that Soy has a High level of Estrogen. And not good for little boys. Uncheesey Cookbook is a one good too. Just Google it. We ordering to Borders. My son is over two years and has no sign out growing it. The Dr. say's if still have by five, he will have for life most likely. So, we are just hoping he will. There a lot of different recipes online too. Also there Coconut Milk Ice Cream. My son loves. I hope this help.

1 / 3