1 Year Old Twitches and Jerks When Falling Asleep

My just turned one year old little girl twitches and jerks when she starts falling asleep. She's done this for a few months now. Sometimes it's just a little twitching in her feet, and other times several body parts will jump and twitch! Sometimes she'll even kick a leg way up in the air, an arm will jerk up, or her head will jerk to one side. Once or twice, a big twitch will even wake her up! Once she's asleep, she no longer twitches. I'm assuming this is just her muscles way of relaxing, but would like to get your opinions. Thank you!

The twitching movements are called myoclonic movements and they are very normal and almost everyone has them from time to time when they are falling asleep or are asleep.

My children use to be very active, and would kick when they were falling asleep; one of them kicked all the time, he kicked the spokes out of his crib! There was nothing wrong with him. That being said, I would talk with my doctor about this. If you are holding her in your arms when she is falling asleep does she just sort of stare off? Some children have seizures and they occur during the early stages of sleep. My grandson has seizures and his started at 6 months of age. This could be a minor seizure of some kind, but most likely it isn't, however I would ask my doctor about it. I would also warn you not to have all of your childs immunization shots at the same time, spread them out. Just have one at a time. That is what caused my grandsons problems. Best of luck to you and your beautiful daughter.

I would talk to her Pediatrician and get her in to see a pediatric neurologist. I was surprised to hear that so many children and adults do this. I would check it out and I would not wait. Sincerely, G.

i haven't seen my son do this but i've experienced it, usually when i'm more tired than normal or i've had a very physical day. i think it's just the muscles' way of "letting go" of all that pent up energy, from being used so much. it's almost like when i have a busy/stressful/hectic day, my muscles are tensed up a bit more than normal, in preparation for the next "thing"...so when i lay down it's this wierd jerky twitchy thing going on, en route to relaxation. she's getting to a very active age, i'm sure your daughter is like my son - never sitting still! i bet her body is just in the process of slowing down. i would mention it to her ped. at her next appointment just to cover all your bases.

My twin boys (now 4) have jerked and twitched in their sleep since they were about a year old, I never thought anything about it either. The problem continued and began to interfere with sleep. After many tests and doctor visits, we discovered they were actually having seizures at night while sleeping. I'm not suggesting thats what is going on, you just may want to mention it to your pediatrician and monitor it, or video tape it. Since putting our boys on meds, most of the night jerking (seizing) has stopped. Good luck.

Hi A.. My 20 month old does the same thing sometimes. Not sure what causes it but I've even caught myself twitching the same way from time to time when it wakes me. So take comfort in knowing your daughter isn't the only one.

I wouldn't worry too much... This actually happens to ME all the time, and my husband makes fun of me for it. I would say your guess is right: it's just her muscles' way of relaxing...

I know this happens to alot of adults and children and I have heard that it's because they don't want to fall asleep or their mind is racing. Once the mind slows down you can fall asleep. I do it and so do all my kids. Hope this helps.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

sleeping habit toddler sleeping