1 Year Old Stopped Saying Words

I have a little girl who is about to turn one. She has said a few words like "baby" "mama" "bye bye". However, the last 3 or so weeks she has not been saying any of her words at all (just lots and lots of babble!). She understands LOTS of words. I can tell her to give her baby some "sippy" and she will find her baby doll and pretend to feed her from her sippy cup. Seems like she knows 30-40 words, but has gone silent in actually saying her words. Is this normal?

Thank you all for your concerns and suggestions. All is well again! About 5 days after I posted, she decided to start talking again! I suppose she was concentrating on other things! She has said like 4 new words since! Her dad was reading her the Easter Story and he pointed to a picture of Jesus and said, "that's Jesus". She pointed to the picture and said "Jeesuhs"! That just thrilled my hubby!
I told my doctor what had happened at her last appointment and he said this was very normal for this age. He said the only time we get concerned at this age is if they are not babbling or communicating non-verbally like pointing.
Anyway, thanks again!

less than 1 yr, is very young to be saying as much as she is. I would wait and see, as she is so advanced that she may need a little break, and this may be her way of resting before she begins again.

Sometimes it has to do with where they are in their development: i.e. is she focusing on other areas now as in walking, running, eye to hand coordination, or others? Be patient and keep a watchful eye. A Grandmother

I would say something to the pediatrician, but if she is still babbling she is probably focasing on other skills and babbling is a part of learning. My son had a regression at that age and was not babbling at all nor was he following commands. He was in his own little world. My second daughter was totaly diffrent and she would babble all day. It's a lovely thing to hear when you missed it with the first child. My son has never babbled and he is at a 21 month old language level ,he is 3 years old, but intellectually he is very high. My son is in the process of getting diagnosed he has lots of autism red flags in communication and behavior but socially he only has a few red flags. I wish you the best.

Hi B..
Has your daughter been vaccinated in the past 3 to 4 weeks? The thermasil (mercury derevitive) in vaccines has been linked with this particular issue in many children. I have included some sites for your reading.
I do hope it is not vaccine induced, but wanted you to have information to rule it out.
http://www.whale.to/vaccines.html
http://www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

W. from Indiana

B.,
I think this is normal at her age. Sometimes they regress a little before reaching other major milestones. Just make sure you mention it to your ped at her 1 yr checkup. You want to make sure it is not hearing related. If this is the case, you will notice other things too, such as she startles when you walk up behind her, she isn't startled by loud noises, doesn't respond when called from another room, etc. My friend is a hearing impaired teacher. Her own daughter had these problems, and since she knew what to look for, she was able to recognize some of the symptoms. She took her daughter in and she had massive amounts of fluid on her ears, but no infection. After tubes we put in to drain the fluid, her daughter is fine! Good luck!

My question would be, did this happen right after getting her 1yr shots? If so you may be dealing with a side effect/ allergic reaction to the shots and I would investigate!!! If it is I have read you can reverse it if done quickly.

I'm axious to hear the responses to this because I have a 14 month old son who understands a lot of what you say to him and follows instructions like your daughter but doesn't articulate much other than "bah, mah, and dah".

If I were you I would take her to her pediatrician as soon as you can get an appointment and voice your concerns and ask if he can refer you to a speech pathologist for an evaluation. The reason I say this is I have a 6-year-old son who was not talking like I thought he should and stopped saying words when he was almost 2 years old. I was told by his pediatrician that he may be a late bloomer but he did recommend and refer an evaluation. They said he was speech delayed and from that point he started speech therapy. He was later diagnosed by a specialist as having an autism spectrum disorder called PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder-None Otherwise Specified). So just to be on the safe side get an expert in the field to check it out so you can get on the right path to intervention. My son is doing remarkable and is a kindergartener and is getting better each day. He still has a long way to go but he is doing so much better.

I am a developmental therapist who works with children birth to 3 on all areas of development. As children develop esp. at their milestones, it is not unusual for them to only focus on one area. Around 12 months, children are learning to walk and focusing on gross motor skills. It is not unusual and it is also indicated on developmental tests that children may indeed stop talking while they are learning new skills. Can't multitask with those new, fresh brain. If this continues to 18 months check with your PCP. By 18-24 months children should have at least 10 words, name a familiar household object, and be putting 2 words together a little.

i have known this to happen if the parents aren't requiring the words. if your daughter is able to just point at something that she wants, and you get it for her, she wont use her words. make sure you require her to use the word she know if she wants something. if she wants a hug, and can say the word, don't hug her unless she says it. of course this only works for the things that she only knows the words to.

1 / 3