1 Year Old Sleeping a Lot!

My daughter has been sleeping a lot lately. Since the week of her birthday on the 9th until now 3 weeks later. She has been walking since the 15th so she is more active but I am still a little concerned. I didn't bring it up at her 1 year well child visit because it wasn't a concern then, I thought it would pass but as I said it is 3 weeks later now. She goes to bed at 8:00 and sometime wakes up at 12:00 or 3:00 for a feeding but other times sleeps right through or goes back to sleep until 8:00 AM. I am grateful for this but then concerned a little since over the last few weeks she also is napping for 4+ hours a day. At 8 she will be up for 2 hours and then needs to go back down for a nap. She used to nap for 45 minutes to an hour for each nap (2 naps a day) but now she naps 2+hours each nap. Today she slept in until 9:45 went back down at 12:00 and slept until 3. On Baby Center I read that the total sleep is usually 13 3/4 hours for a 1 year old. But my daughter gets about 16. She isn't lethargic in the day, she is happy and active up until she wants to be put back down for a nap. What are you finding with your little ones?

My baby sleeps about that amount as well, but he does not wake up to feed at night. I think what she was napping was not nearly enough; I think she was waking up so soon because something was bothering her and whatever that was is gone. She sounds much more normal now.
-S.

You might call your pediatrician. But my daughter always had a 2.5-3 hour nap and then another hour nap in the afternoon (for 4 hours of napping) and would sleep from 8pm until 7am. So just shy of your daughter and now she is a busy 3 year old and totally healthy.

How is she behaving when she's awake? Is she active or lethargic?

She is probably getting ready for a big growth spurt! Count your blessing for the night sleeping and let it be. The growth spurt will be accompanied by a intellectual spurt tool. Get ready, get your rest now.

this is totally normal. it actually sounds more healthy then the sleep she was getting previously. my one year old probably slept more then that!

My 2yo slept about 16 hours per day at that age, with two two-hour naps. He has always slept a bit more than average, and still sleeps about 13.5 hours per day (11 hours at night and generally a two-hour nap). He also tends to sleep more during growth spurts.

As long as she seems fine in other areas (eating, personality, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it.

hi T.- I have two and half year old twins and they always have been great sleepers but they will have months that they will sleep more. In fact they are FINALLy are on one nap (turned two in April). About the age your daughter is my kiddos were doing the exact thing-two naps for 2 hours. We could go a day or two without the two naps but what I found was the more sleep they got the better they slept- Sounds funny -I know. I asked my ped at their 2 year and she told me (woodonville peds) that not to worry at all. Kids will sleep what they need. She said she has heard of 4 year olds STILL taking two naps- WOW- hope that helps

K. M- SAHM but works one day a week. Have been married for 6 years but known each other for 12.

This sounds pretty normal for the age. I remember at 1 yr my daughter had also just learned to walk and she was sleeping 8pm-8 or 9am, then taking 2 naps a day usually 2 hr in the morning then 1.5hr in the late afternoon. More sleep comes with the increased activity and with new skills/cognative leaps like walking and talking. As long as she is still active and normal when she is awake and not lethargic and sluggish I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy this while it lasts, soon you will be down to one nap and wish you had those 4 hours of peace!

-- there could be asimple reason- but I'd bring this up with your doctor --- for her to need that much - and for it to last so long-- yeah-- Old Mom would check it out --

Blessings- J.

My daughter is 15 months old and that is her normal sleep routine! I would say she might be going through a growth spurt! enjoy the sleep!! :)

1 / 3