1 Year Old Milestones

My son isn't walking yet, he just turned 1. He dosn't like the sippy cup either, but I can get him to drink from a straw a little bit. Is all this normal? Can we be doing something wrong?

Thanks for the comments. It seems like it's normal for him to not walk yet. I first believed when he is ready, then I hear about others my son's age that are walking already. My Goddaughter basically skipped crawling and her mother is use to being around kids I'm not (not until my son) so I feel that I'm doing something wrong. (I know girls will learn things faster than boys). But she alwasy says, "He's still on the bottle?" Or "He's not walking yet?" So I know it is normal I'll wait till he is ready. I'll just keep encouraging him. Today is the first time he made "kissies". :-)

My oldest daughter didn't walk until after her first birthday, and she drank both bottle and sippy cup until she was about two. My younger daughter walked at her first birthday party so that she could get to one of her presents, and had been drinking both bottle and sippy cup. I don't remember when we actually stopped using the bottle for her, but it didn't seem to be long after her birthday. When they were sick, I would give their bottle back so that they would get enough fluids. Don't pay attention to what other people say is "normal". Babies are all different, just like we are.

My daughter didn't start walking until she was about 13 months old, and she didn't really stand and try to take steps til right after her 1 yr. birthday. She does not drink from sippy cups either, only from straws. It's all completely normal. :>

Don't worry about it. Babies develop at different rates. My oldest son didn't take his first steps until 2 weeks after his 1st birthday. With in a month he was running.

As far as the sippy cup is concerned have you tried the Nuby? they have softer tops and feel more like a bottle.

My son is 18 months now, and he didnt like the sippy cup either. I think because we always fed him his bottle, and he never really held it up himself he just didnt understand the sippy cup. We started giving him the spill proof cups that have a straw and he caught on fast. Some of the spill proof cups are better then others though. At first we bought the ones that have the spill proof part at the top, which are slits in the top part of the straw, but eventually he just chewed on them until they broke and then they werent spill proof anymore. So now we buy the ones that have the spill proof part at the bottom and he cant mess those up. My son was walking when he turned one, however he was better at crawling and preferred that way. He would take a few steps, but then he would just fall, but they develop so fast after they turn one so i wouldnt worry to much about it. All kids develop differently and as long as your sons dr is happy with his progress, try not to stress to much. Soon hell be running and so will you. Hope this helped!

It is all perfectly normal. My daughter didn't start walking until she was almost 18 months and she is just fine being that she is now two. When I used to work at a daycare, I learned that all kids develop at a different rate. It will all work out just fine. No need to worry. :)

In my opimion no it does not sound to me like you are doing anything wrong. He is barely a year old and that is still a baby. He will walk and all that good stuff when he is good and ready to do so. There are some things however that you can try to do with him to ease him into it. Walk with him hold onto his hands and let him go at his own pace or maybe let him push you along while he is holding onto your pants from the front. The more you help him on his feet the faster he will get the hang of it.As for the sippy cup just offer it to him more and more often and he will get used to having it. Put his favorite drinks in it and show him what is in the cup before you give it to him. Don't give up on it, just because he doesn't like it NOW does not meann he won't like it in a month or so.
I hope i was helpfull and Good Luck.

Sippy cups are a personal preference - not a milestone. If he can drink from a straw, you might look into the sippy cups with straws.

As for the walking, my son turned 1 on January 5 and just started pulling up. He's on the late side of average, but my pediatrician said not to worry unless and until he wasn't pulling up by 15 months. Assuming your son has no other developmental concerns, I wouldn't worry - but you can always talk to your pediatrician (or call ECI for an assessment) to be sure. :)

my son didn't start walking until about 2-3 weeks after his first birthday, some kids take even longer. if you are concerned talk to your pediatrician about it, but i think it is a little too early to worry. as far as the sippy cup, it takes a while for them to get used to it and the hang of it. just keep offering it to him, he will finally get it or skip it all together and go straight to the cup. good luck..

hey don't worry my one yr old son isn't walking yet too. as for a sippy cup try the softones they always worked for me....

Don't worry as long as he's trying. If it still bothers you go to the doctors and get his advise

1 / 3