1 Year Old Losing Weight

My daughter has lost a little weight, and I am concerned about it. I think that she eats a lot. While she never tells me that she is full. How much does your one year old eat? Has anyone else had problems with the 1 year old losing a little bit of weight. Any advice at all would help.

Yeah I have taken her to the doctors and they didn't even say much about it. I just have to watch it. I weigh her at home every other day. I just want to make sure that if something is wrong with her I catch it in the beginning. She is walking, she has been since 11 months. She just eats all the time. Maybe she has a very good metabolism. I don't know. Thanks everyone for the great advice!!!

My son isn't losing weight but he hasn't gained any either. My pediatrician said to add butter to his vegatables, etc.. I am on a diet but she said to give him the good stuff!

Hope this helps!

It seems as though when all 3 of my children were around one that they all lost a little weight. I was always told that it was due to the fact that with them walking and moving around more they start to lose some of that "baby fat". As long as she is still healthy and not sick often or seems sluggish, she is fine.

Have you asked her doctor about it yet? And what kind of foods is she eating? Both of mine were "fluffy" when they were little so I don't exactly know of any other advice than contacting her Dr. and asking him about it. Sorry

Maybe this will help you. (www.kidseatwell.org) This will have information on how much your child should be eating she should not be eating to feel full. I hope this website will help you

Julia My daughter and son are going through that as we speak My daughter is 5yrs old and my son will be 2 in Dec. My kids doctor told me not to worry about it unless it is a lot of weight that the child is loosing and if the doctor is concerned about it you might ask the doctor about it and ask him/her what to do about it they might have you give your daughter some ensure between meals to compinsate for what she looses.

My daughter is 13 mths old and she has lost weight since she is on the go now.. I have heard it is normal when they get walking and running.. If you have major concerns on it then you should get it checked.. Nothing wrong with a moms worries...

Hope this helps!

I am not sure of all your daughters specifics, but it is usually totally normal for kids to drop weight around that age. Both of my kids did as well. They are really mobile by that point and just burn it of more than when they just sat there or crawled around a little!

If it is massive you might consult your ped.

M. H.

I totally agree with Carla's Response. I would also like to add that at your daughter's well-child visits you should mention this to your doc. My daughter's doc told me some weight loss is expected due to extra mobility.

You will want to watch for a pattern. First how do you know she has lost weight? Is it based on looking at her (she looks thinner) or is it based on an actual weigh in? If it was a weigh in, was it done on the same scale that she was weighed on previously? Kids go through a tremendous slow down in growth between 1 and 3yrs. I can visably see with my kids a pattern where they look like they expand a bit width wise and then they shoot up height wise and become thin looking. My kids also stopped gaining more weight for a long time but continued to grow height wise. So long as she doesn't continue to lose actual weight she should be fine.

If she stops growing or starts losing weight continually, you may start to notice a bit of darkness under her eyes (sort of like dark circles that are most prominant in certain lighting) then you should look into food sensitivities...if there are food sensitivities and she continues to eat the foods she has trouble digesting it can lead to her not being able to absorb nutrients efficiently. This shows up as dark circles, constant sinus and ear congetion and or infection, if it starts to get worse you will also notice bowel changes in the form of loose stools or constipation accompanied by cramping and pain and even behaviour changes. I know a lot about this becuase 2 of my 3 kids have food sensitivities.

First things first, don't fret yet. It is good that you are paying attention and it truly could be just normal growth for an infant turning into a toddler. She can especially lose a little of weight if she has been sick recently, or if she has become more mobile. That was something I especially noticed with my daughter. She weighed 20 lbs at her 1st b-day, but got a cold and was teething in addition to starting to move around more. Let me tell you this is a VERY active little girl. She jumps a lot, runs a lot and tries hard to keep up with her brothers. She lost 2 lbs which concerned me but she did grow height wise. I just made sure we gave her enough fluids (breastmilk) and I fed her some extra fats like avocado and when I had to bring her back for a weigh in appt to make sure she was okay, she had gained back 1.5 lbs. She has always grown much slower than my boys did as far as weight goes. She is just tall and skinny. She has always been in the 30th percentile for weight but 90 something for height.

Good luck and if you need to talk or anything feel free to contact me anytime. I also live in the collinsville area.

B. :)

Is your child walking yet. I know as soon as mine started walking. Which happened to be a week before he turned one. He started to slim down. Babies are more active and burn more. Unless its a drastic weight loss i wouldn't worry about it too much.

1 / 3