1 Year Old - Eating Habits/Schedule

I think some of you misinterpreted my request to mean that my son is not eating table food. He is eating all kinds of table food. The only reason that I am still giving him the baby cereal and jarred baby food is because I just got 30+ jars of it through WIC and I am not going to just waste it.

My son has been sleeping through the night since around 8 or 9 weeks. He has never had the appetite that they make reference to in most of the books. However, he is healthy - I am guessing about 20lbs. right now. He has just begun to learn how to drink out of a cup - a real cup - not a sippy cup. He was never interested in sippy cups. All he did is chew on the nipple/spout. We gave him a regular cup and he loves that but we are still getting the hang of it because he is visually impaired and is learning to feel the water and lift his hands up higher to bring the water into his mouth.

In the end we are going to his pediatrician this Friday for his 1 year and I will ask him how best to transition him to the whole milk and also to a cup versus a bottle.

I remember that by that age (now 6 and 3) my kids had sippy cups of water or watered down juice and a bottle morning and night before we stopped aroudn that age... WHen I saw that my kid could handle a regular cup with a small amount of liquid without spiing it at meal times at the table. Also at that age my kids eat three meals a day and snacks between them just like us and it was all table foods too. I know people at used to add baby food into like mac and cheese to add extra nutrience.... there is a book that came out about how to add things to everyday foods for kids... I used to do that...

Hope this helps and yes the books are a guide but thats it... I followed my child... my youngest never realy ate baby food she wanted table foods at like 7 months and I used a baby grinder for stuff and she just ate what we ate just mashed up or grinded up....

M. mom of 2 girls

My son just turned 18 months old. I took the bottle away at 15 months and began introducing table food. He immediately drank his milk from a sippy cup in the morning and at night. During the day he has mostly water with a touch of juice. The difficult transition was into table food. I think the longer I had him eating baby food, the more difficult it was to get him to try new foods. He has been quite a finicky eater but he does much better now.

For breakfast: always a banana, then I make a tray of food for him to graze on throughout the morning. This was a good way to introduce new foods and not force it. Raisins, apples, nutrigrain bar, cheerios

***yogurt & applesauce are always good staples and the same consistency as the baby food so obviously, they love that!
Sneak in some baby veggies with the yogurt!

Lunch: turkey or chicken dogs
or grilled cheese
fruit
Yogurt with veggies

Snacks: whole wheat fish, vanilla wafers, animal crackers, the occassional pop tart

Dinner: chicken tenders with tater tots or french fries
or pizza bagel bites
Yogurt with veggies

THis may not sound like the healthiest meal plan but my pediatrician encouraged me to go for the fun food at first. Every day he gets a little bit better and I continue to introduce new food.

He recently tried bacon and loved it! Good luck.

Both of my kids were completely on table food by a year old basically because once we started introducing it they refused baby food. I also took the bottles away at the same age. My son was easy he never loved his bottles, and my daughter had a really bad cold and couldn't drink due to a stuffy nose so I seized the moment and took the bottle away. Both of my kids really did well with their cup, however what I did was make sure to up the dairy intake, with extra cheese, yogurt, etc. Most babies will not drink as much milk as they do from the bottle at first. This is just personal experience but I think the older the get the more attached and difficult it is to get them off the bottle. Just remember books are there to guide us that does not mean we have to do everything they recommend. All babies are different and you need to do what is right for your family. Since you have not started anything yet I would go slowly so the transition will be easier. Just a few suggestions for breakfast I would give french toast, pancakes, cinnamon toast, and lots of fresh fruits. Lunch can be leftovers from dinner, pastina, soups, grilled cheese, etc. As long as you start off with small pieces your child will learn to chew and will also discover his likes and dislikes. Good luck!!

I am doing all the same things you are with my daughter who just turned one. She is my second child and I am definitely more relaxed about stuff this time around (as everyone said I would be-lol). But she is doing fine. And like you, we are working on transitioning her, but no rush, and no stress. She enjoys her bottles, and it is part of her routine. So we are doing all the changes slowly. And it is hard to feel comfortable that they are getting all the nutrition they need when you take them completely off the baby food. But they do, and you will feel comfortable with it in time. That is what I believe. And I have to share that the second time around has taught me (in hindsight) how much harder I was making it on me and my first daughter by trying so hard to follow all the books and advice of others and do everything "just right" or what I thought was just right at that time anyway. But I guess that was how I needed to learn. Everyone is different, but these are my experiences. And right now, she does us a sippy cup also, and she does eat with us at every meal and will eat what we eat most of the time. But I still give her baby food once in awhile and like you said, it is in the house still so I am going to use it. She also eats a ton of fruit and right now she still enjoys veggies. Oh, and I sneak ground up flax seed in their pancakes (which we eat often) and that makes me feel better about their nutrition too.

Hi, I have a son who turned a year on the 10th of January. He is not a big eater all the time so we have him on Nestle Good Start2 Which is for infants 9-24 months. I wasn't big on putting him on milk unless its organic. He gets a 8oz bottle when he wakes and goes to sleep and in the middle of the day he gets 5 oz of formula in between all of his meals in a sippy cup. All of his juice and water goes in a sippy cup as well. His eating habits really depend on if he is cutting a tooth.

My son's schedule is awake at 8am .. 8oz bottle or what ever he wants to drink. 9:30am Breakfast 3tbs of Cereal with 1/8 cup of fresh fruit. 1/4 cup of yo baby yogurt and some whole wheat cereal like Kashi Heart to heart. Nap at 11am. He wakes usually 12:30 and eats his lunch at 1:00pm. He will eat 1/2 a grilled cheese or a jar of baby food 3rd stage. He gets juice through out the day or water and around 3:30 he gets some formula in a sippy cup then off to nap at 4:00. He's up at 5:30... juice dinner at 7 and then 8 is bath 8:30 bottle (8oz) then bed.

Hope this helps. I think you are doing fine. Each child transitions differently.

Elizabeth

My daughter wasn't completely bottle free til 18-21 months, don't remember exactly, and my son was about 15 months - but they are 13 and 9, bottles were considered okay til age 2 back then.
At a year old, babies should be eating 3 regular meals a day, with a beverage in a cup. Food becomes their primary source of nutrition at a year, as opposed to a supplement which it was previously. My last child ate whatever we ate, just in extremely small pieces since he didn't have many teeth - at 10 months, he would point at our plates and shriek for what we had if we tried to serve "baby food." Separate bottle feeds from meals aren't needed. I would put his milk in a cup with his meals - he doesn't need full meals with water and then 4 bottle feedings. If he still likes his bottle before bed, I don't really think it's a terrible thing, as long as you clean his teeth after.
Good luck with making this transition.

Don't worry about what the books say. Every child has different needs and every parent does as well. You should not feel bad about the decisions you make for your son, he is yours. For mine, I decided to try to take away his bottle when he yurned 12 months. I first introduced a sippy cup very early (3 months) just as practice and he finally got the hang of it at about 6 months. I only gave him water in the cup. On his first birthday, I only gave him the sippy cup with milk and he did not complain so we were so lucky. I still hold him when he has his milk though. I think that's why he is ok without the bottle. Like I said every kid is different though, my cousin's kid is still on a bottle at 20 months. I heard that the doctors like them to be off by 17 months. Whatever. My issue now is with the binky (pacifier) but I figured that if I got the bottle away that would be more important since the binky is just a sucky and not giving sustanance. As far as food, my son loves to eat - anything I will allow him. I have tried making my own food for him all along instead of giving him jars. Now, his diet looks like this:
Wake up: 8 ounce milk sippy cup
Cheerios (pre breakfast snack to keep him happy until I wake up enough to make him something)
Breakfast is always a fruit (applesauce, banana, berries, melon, raisins) AND either Barley Cereal, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Cereal Bar, egg, waffle, grilled cheese sandwich
Snack (sometimes before nap or lunch): animal crackers, cheese, raisins, baby goldfish or other crackers, rice cake
Lunch: Yogurt AND veggie (carrots, peas, green beans, avocado), Pasta, or some of what I eat.
Dinner: Usually what we have, protein, starch and veg.
Water all day
8 ounce milk in sippy after dinner
Hope that helps.

Hi L....I agree with the first mom who responded. Weaning is always good, with bottles as well as feeding habits. It can be frustrating at first, but allow yourself some space and breathing room because it can be a bit of a challenge...children don't like adapting to changes, just like adults don't like it. As long as you're sort of tracking your child's intake of what he's eating in a day, then you and him should be fine. Kids let you know when they've had enough to eat. I have four kids, ages 20, 15, 10 and 9 mos. Take care!

I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys, ages 21/2 and 6. I also watch another 2 yr old and a 1 yr old. My boys were down to drinking one 8 oz bottle a day by the time they were a year old. They were eating mainly regular food. They would have the rare baby oatmeal for breakfast. Waffles in little pieces were their favorites.
The one year old that I watch eats everything. She has no desire for baby food, she was never full enough on it. She eats one bottle a day 8oz, and drinks 2-4oz cups of either juice or water from a sippy cup. Is your son sleeping through the night? If not, maybe he isnt full enough before he goes to sleep. Try mashed potatoes, or noodles (wagon wheels) or something and see if he will eat that. Try more sippies. That is the main key. If he is getting big REALLY quick. He probably is getting too much formula. Again, this is just from experience and my day to day life.
If you want to talk more, email me at ____@____.com or ____@____.com
Thanks
Albany, NY

1 / 3