1 Year Old Climber

I have a 1 year old daughter. She was walking at 8 1/2 months. She climbs on everything. I have caught her in the kitchen sink, on the dining room table and on top of the chest freezer. She can get out of her crib and playpen. It makes it very difficult to get anything done because I can not leave her alone for a second. And the biggest problem is that with her being so active, she is not retaining weight. She is only 18 1/2 pounds. She eats more than my 3 1/2 year old. What can I do? Please help me

take her to a park and let her climb!! She may be an olympic gymnast in the making!!!! Just make her aware of the pains that can follow a fall!!! Give her plenty of healthy snacks to keep her bones strong as she climbs!!!!

put up special gates to keep her out of danger zones like the kitchen and super baby proof the area she is in; make sure there is nothing to help her access high areas such as the dining room table - move all chairs away; you just have to work around her - stay in the area she is in so you always have one eye on her! she will outgrow it! do your work when she naps.

Oh my gosh! It totally sounds like you're describing my child! ;) My daughter is 20 months, and she's my wild child! She, too, climbs everything, and gets into everything, too! Drives me crazy! She's also so active, she's very tiny for her age (skinny). She only weighed 18 lbs. at a year, and we couldn't move her car seat forward facing until she was 18 months (and finally reached 20 lbs ... our state law). She can still wear some 6-12 month bottoms even at 20 months! She eats ALL the time, but is just so wild and is always moving, she burns everything off. She eats more than my 3 1/2 year old son, too! ;) I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I guess all I have is the knowledge that your daughter isn't the only one like this ... mine's the same way! ;) I'm hoping she grows out of some of this. And, soon! ;)

-I have always been thankful that my babies couldn't walk before 11-12 months, but boy could they climb!!
-My friends had little dresser lamps and cutesy knick-knacks on their baby's dressers ... I had to position the bare-topped dresser within two feet or so of the head of the crib. This way, when they opened the drawers and started climbing, the crib caught the dresser before it fell forward and on the kids.
-I kept a big overstuffed chair in the baby room.
-I kept nothing near the baby room windows so the babies didn't climb near the glass.
-I layered baby gates on top of each other. Each door and top and bottom of the stairs was double-baby gated.
-I taught the kids how to slide down the stairs safely. I always preferred them to go down on their bellies, feet down.
-Other moms prefer having their kids slide down sitting on their bottoms, but I'm afraid of them catching their foot and winding up head over heels.
-I kept an old trunk next to the crib so that when they climbed out and over the railing, the fall was shorter.
-I kept all electric cords out of reach, I wasn't only concerned about electric shocks, I didn't want the cords around their necks.
-My sister had baby locks on her medicine cupboard above her stove. My kids never climbed up the stove, thank God!
-I had two rooms that I regarded as absolutely "safe" rooms. The baby's bedroom and the dining room were carpeted, completely double-baby gated, no shoes allowed. Although the outlets were covered throughout the house, these rooms had no cords plugged in. The dining room was the "playroom" and had soft furniture, climbing toys (yard sales), and only safe toys. I had old cushions adjacent to the climbing toys to break falls. I kept our (otherwise useless) playpen in the playroom as a toy box. (A friend had a TV mounted on the wall in an upper corner of her kids' playroom.) The kids were safe in either of these two rooms if I was in the kitchen or the bathroom.
-Last, but not least, I recommend feeding your daughter high-calorie ice cream. She can eat it while the rest of you eat yogurt.
Good luck!!

your daughter sounds just like my daughter. walked early climbs everything still and shes 4! i ended up just making sure all dangerous things are put wayyyy high up. after she fell a few times off chairs and things she learned that it kinda hurt so she stoped climbing so much. good luck

Look at it as a positive trait, and get her involved in gymnastics or a dance class.

My son was the exact same way. Yes, it was more work for me to make sure he was safe, but once we got him involved in gymnastics (with a great male teacher) he was shown that you need to do those 'tricks', climbing, the right way, and to respect your body.

Don't worry about the weight. Make one of her drinks a day a healthy one (one of those full of vitamins drinks) and I think you will be happier with her overall.

Just go with your kids strengths.

My son is now 8, and is pretty much a natural and swimming (he won a bunch of swimming awards on his team), loves soccer and softball). Our struggle with him is school work, so we use that as our leverage. Yes, you can go out in the yard to practice soccer after you are done with you homework.

I would suggest getting a crib tent, this will at least keep her safe in the crib. And it is a good idea as someone mentioned to completely childproof a room, then if you need to get something done, you could put her in there and use a noise or video monitor so you can hear her. If you haven't already, the mounts that attach shelves and dressers to the walls are a good idea since she's such a climber.

I know the frustration. Baby gates are the only thing to keep our 22 mo. old from getting hurt or into something. The cheap wooden ones worked until she was around 15 mo. old. We then had to upgrade to the pressure mounted swing gates. They're a little more money but worth it. We have one to keep her in the living room when we need to. If the doorway to your girl's room will allow, put a gate there. (ours unfortunately won't fit the gate) Your little one will be confined to her room without being totally closed off and you can still hear and see her. Our little girl doesn't always like it but she gets over it after a few minutes. The sooner you get her used to entertaining herself for 10 or so minutes at a time in a safe place, the easier the adjustment for her will be. Hearing her cry from being a little mad is always better than her crying because she got hurt. GOOD LUCK!!!!

1 / 3