1 Year Old & Diarrhea

My daughter just turned 1 on the 10th. We started her on whole milk then, only 2 oz a day and then the following week we did one meal of whole milk a day. She had been doing fine. On friday she had her 1 year check up and got 5 shots. We haven't really changed her diet, she's been eating table foods for a while now. But monday she started having runny poop. Just 2-3 times a day so I don't know if it's considered diarrhea or not. As the week progressed it's gotten runnier and she's leaking through her clothes. I can't figure out what is causing it. She has been on whole milk for 3 weeks now so I figured if it was a reaction to whole milk it would have shown up right away. Or is it something to do with her shots? Any insight would be helpful.

Actually, a milk intolerance can show up at any time. We use goats milk for our 15 month old. The fat globules are smaller and therefore easier to digest. My little one had the horrible diarrhea several times a day until we switched to goats milk. We get the Meyenberg brand and can find it at Wal-mart. Also, if you are on WIC they offer it as an alternative to cow's milk with no questions asked.
Also, it MAY be linked to her shots. Some kids react badly to them. I would notify the Dr. about her symptom.
Since she is one year you can give her a small amount of honey. It is a natural anti-diarrheal. I'm not sure on a dose though. Mabey 1/4 teaspoon????
I hope you find a solution!

Ps. "They" are still saying One year for honey.

It could be either. Some children are Lactose intolerant so the milk may cause more runny poop once the milk is in the system for a while, and other kids show symptoms instantly. On the other hand, one side effect of the shots can be diarrhea. I'd probably take her off the milk for just a little bit and see if it clears up. Then, in a week or 2, providing it clears up, do another experiment by adding the milk again and see if it comes back. If it comes back, then you know it's the milk. In the meantime, you could do a soy milk. (I'm not a soy drinker myself and prefer milk, so I'd suggest the Vanilla flavored one as a good substitute.) If it doesn't come back, then you'll know that the runny poop was probably just a side effect of the boosters. If nothing stops it...I'd get her in to the Dr.

My son had something our doctor termed "toddler's diarrhea." There was really no cause and it eventually went away. I was at my wits end with the soaking through the clothes thing several times a day. An elderly woman at work told me about a home remedy and I swear it worked! You boil rice, strain out the rice and put the rice water in a bottle. I had to put a tiny bit of sugar in it so my son would drink it. It didn't take much to do the job. Might be worth a try.

S. W

I thought they were saying 3 years old for honey now?
Can she have yogurt? That's what worked for me. There are so many possible causes - I think in general they say just watch for dehydration (or other troublesome symptoms, of course), limit sweets ... trust your gut - if you feel it's serious, then take her to the doctor. Otherwise, give her body a chance to learn to correct it.

1 / 3