1 Year and 2 Months Old and No Walking Yet

My boy is 1 year and 2 months old but he hasn't done the firsts stepts alone yet. Should I be concerned? Thank you!

Thank you very much for all your answers! He has just started to stand by himself without any help. Still no steps, but I think he's very close now!!

16 1/2 months for my guy, now 7 1/2 yo. Runs like the wind now. No worries as long he's thriving (continuing to move forward in growth).

My son (now 2) didn't walk until 15 months. I was the same way. It's no biggie. I believe most pediatricians will tell you it's totally within the range of normal for him to not be walking yet.

you received a lot of answers already but let me say that my first two kids started walking right after their first birthday but my third son didn't start walking until he was 18 months old! One day he just decided he wanted to walk! Give it time and work with him but don't push it, it will happen and then you will wish he was still crawling because then he will be into everything!! :)

It's okay, M.. How is he doing with crawling? Is he a champ at it? Does he cruise? Does he pull up on stuff?

If he is strongly doing these things, then he just hasn't put his brain and his legs together for walking. Also, is he trying to talk? Lots of times, children only do one developmental task at a time. In other words, if he is trying to talk, he won't try to walk too. OR, he will be figuring out how to walk, and won't try to talk yet.

Frankly, I was fine with my older son not walking until he was 14 months. Once they start walking, you have many more issues to deal with! It will come, and pretty soon you'll be running around trying to catch him!

You shouldn't be concerned UNLESS you have spoken to his doctor and his doctor has given you a reason to be concerned. Otherwise, stop worrying (right, we are moms, not gonna happen!).

My husband was 14 months before he started taking steps, and our youngest boy is following suit, he is 13 months and isn't walking. He will pull himself up to a standing position and "walk" around the table, couch, etc. He is just taking his sweet time! Sounds like yours is too. Our oldest walked at 9 months. What a difference!

Talk to your doc if you are still worried. But he will walk! And then you will wish he wasn't! =)

Best wishes.

No. My oldest 2 both walked at 10 months. My youngest was 16 months old. Soon enough you won't be able to slow him down.

Gosh I hope not, my little guy turned 1 the end of November and is no where near walking yet. he's just figuring out how to put one foot in front of the other if we are holding his hands, and forget those push toys, his feet don't move that fast yet and he falls on his face. He's number 4, and sure I remember the older kids walking before this, but my LO seems to be getting where he needs to go just fine (and I'm in no hurry to have him running around, lol)

My daughter did not walk independently until 14 months herself. She did "cruise" around holding onto furniture around 11 to 12 months. Is he doing that, or not attempting to walk at all? Because if he walks holding onto things, he's still within the range of "normal". If he's not at least doing that, you might want to talk to your pediatrician and see what he/she says and try to determine if he truly has some kind of gross motor delay or other issue.

My first daughter was crusing at 11 months old and didn't start walking until she was 14-15 months old. Her 3 younger siblings all started walking earlier and earlier, with our youngest walking before 10 months.

My oldest daughter is perfectly normal, so I think it is still ok. However, I would check with your ped, since there are many conditions that can delay walking and the doctor might have some questions.

1 / 3