1 Week Old Infant - Cold, Stuffy Nose

I am so paranoid as a new mom. My son has a stuffy nose and we try saline drops, the nasal aspirator and siting in the bathroom with steam but he still seems uncomfortable. I am so worried about his nose trying to breathe that sometimes I can not sleep!

Also, I noticed a slight blue tint and dry top lip on him. Does this mean something really bad?

Anyone have any advice for a scared mom?

Hi mamas!
I went to the dr appt today and he is okay! :) The pedi was calming and let us know he was doing the right thing by suctioning out his nose and gave us some sterile nose drops that he used really easily and then used the hospital sized aspirator to suction his nose really really well so our baby was sound asleep on the way hone! :) I am so much happier now and feel like I am doing okay now, WHEW! Oh, he didnt have a fever and his lips are fine! YAY! Thanks everyone though!

All babies are stuffy for a few weeks after birth. One of the previous posters nailed it; babies have a ton of mucus and fluid in their nasal passages from being in a liquid environment for so long. Let him sleep sitting up a little, keep using the aspirator...he'll clear up in a few weeks. It's scary, especially when you see him snuffling and snorting like that. But it'll get better.

I hear you...the first cold is always the most scary, I think (tied with the first high fever)! Anyway, babies are born breathing out of their noses- helps with breastfeeding-, so they will try to do that the most (though don't worry, if they cannot breathe out their noses, they will open their mouths and breathe). So that being said, that is why the stuffy nose seems so much worse than it is (and probably sounds worse too).

Continue the saline drops and aspirator (but limit it to like 4 times a day...if you do it too much, you can cause swelling of the membranes and make the problem worse according to my pediatrician) and warm showers are good (if his unbillical cord stump has fallen off, you can actually take him in the shower with you...just wrap him in a towel to make him less slippery until you are used to holding him in the shower...my boys both loved that).

Also, try letting him sleep in his bouncer or propped up or even on your chest for a few nights (I loved my recliner for this!!!). I also put Vicks Vapor Rub on MY chest and let him sleep on my chest/in my arms...then he got the benefit of the Vicks without having to have the medicine on him.

As far as the blue tint...if you are AT ALL worried about his breathing, call his MD right away! Watch for him sucking for air (you will see him sucking the skin in between his ribs) and wheezing sounds. You are mommy and we definitely have a good gut about our kiddos! Don't be afraid to call at any hour of the night! They can usually take you through a series of questions to see if he needs to be seen right away and it usually calms me after I talk with them (my pediatrician's on-call nurses are fabulous, very patient and extremely knowledgeable!!!)!

The dry lip is probably because, think of when you have been sick, what water we do get in gets put to work with the healing process, so he may just be a little dehydrated. Just try nursing him a little more often (would not suggest water or Pedialyte at his age yet). Maybe because he cannot breathe as well, he is not getting as much per feeding. Is he running a fever? Remember...at less than 2 months, any fever over 100.5 needs to be reported right away (after 2 months, they say only to go to the hospital if the fever is 105 or over...crazy, huh...believe me, my 2-year-old son has been up to 104.5 many times and it freaks me out every time and I call the on-call nurses every time too...hard to see our kiddos sick, huh!?!) Hope something helps! Don't feel helpless...you are doing a great job!!!

as a new mom I always found it best to take them to the pediatrician when in doubt...it can't hurt.

My heart goes out to you. It is sooo hard to see such a small child having a hard time breathing. If you're truly worried, take him out to children's hospital if you're close enough. they are wonderful out there and you will have some piece of mind knowing that your child was seen there.

Blue lips are a huge red flag. What does the doctor say? As with adults, plenty of liquids. Ask your doc, while you are there, if you can give water.

My poor son had a cold for the first 5 weeks of his life. It's scary, but it will be OK. Get a cold midst humidifier and let him sleep in his car seat.

Just watch for the wheezing. My guy did mild wheezing so I didn't take him to the DR. but if you think he is struggling to breath, then give the Dr a call. The sad thing is that there really isn't much they can do.

Nurse lots to hydrate, and just hang in there!

Just wanted to validate your feelings!!! I think it's normal and natural to be scared. You are responsible for the safety and well being of the most precious person you have ever laid eyes on, and you only meet a week ago. : ) Of course you are nervous. I would encourage you to call your pediatrician and ask questions if you are concerned. They are there to partner with you to raise a healthy happy little boy, so reach out to them if you need reassurance. All of us other mama's are here for you too, so welcome to the club.
Congratulations on the new little life in your world. Parenting is a beautiful adventure.

any tint of blue should be seen by a doctor to check the oxygen levels because yes it can mean something bad. Just go and don't feel bad like your over worrying. Your baby is very new to the world. I'm sorry he's sick.

1 / 3