1 Month Old with Sunburn

I have a 1 month 5 day old little boy. i have been walking to get back in shape yesterday he got a little sunburn on his nose and cheeks. i got burn myself. what can i put on it and what can i do or use to prevent it? i gave him some Tylenol for the burn. he is a very hot natured baby so i don't want to put long sleeves and pants on him because he sweats already with oneies and shorts on. it is 70-80 degrees outside.

thanks everyone

At this age, he needs to be completely covered when you are outside with him for an extended period of time! He may sweat, but if you keep him hydrated it is better than a sunburn! COVER THE STROLLER with a lightweight blanket or sheet.

Yes, I'm scolding a little bit here, but there is no reason for an infant to have a sunburn. Yes, Tylenol for the discomfort and plenty of moisturizer to keep him from peeling, but as for prevention- be aware of it from now on and don't have him exposed! You can't use sunscreen on his baby skin at this age.

You should NEVER put lotion on a sunburn - it traps in the heat rather than letting it heal. This comes from a fair-skinned, blue-eyed redhead who has dealt with more than one sunburn and been lectured by multiple dermatologists.

The best thing for a sunburn (on someplace other than the face) is to soak in tepid water (JUST warm enough that you don't get chilled), pat dry and then apply pure aloe vera (be sure it is 100% aloe vera and does not have other added ingredients). On the face, apply cool cloths and then apply the aloe vera.

For babies younger than 6 months, you should check with your doctor before applying sunscreen.

When you push the stroller, put a lightweight blanket over it to protect him from the sun, that way you don't have to worry about putting him in long clothing.

Here is expert advice on what is safe to help with an infant's skin that it burned, and ways to prevent it:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_sunburn_11276.bc

Nothing! Put nothing on a burn.

He needs to be completely covered when he's in direct sunlight. Tent a blanket over the stroller at the very least.

From the AAP HealthyChildren.org site
Keep babies younger than 6 months out of direct sunlight. Find shade under a tree, umbrella, or the stroller canopy.

Sunscreen for Babies
For Babies younger than 6 months. Use sunscreen on small areas of the body, such as the face and the backs of the hands, if protective clothing and shade are not available.
For babies older than 6 months. Apply to all areas of the body, but be careful around the eyes. If your baby rubs sunscreen into her eyes, wipe the eyes and hands clean with a damp cloth. If the sunscreen irritates her skin, try a different brand or try a sunscreen stick or sunscreen or sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. If a rash develops, talk with your child’s doctor

This company has great products. Maybe this would help?
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...

Well I know everyone is saying no sunscreen until 6 months old but my youngest was 3 months old we went to Florida and our ped said to put sunscreen on any areas that weren't covered by clothing and wear a hat, keep the stroller canopy open to help shade baby.

Get him a hat. When my DD was too young for sunscreen I made her a 'shade hat'. I just found a hat with a big brim, and starched it until it got really stiff. (the brim, not the whole hat) Then I sewed this lacy fabric over it, so she essentially had a veil covering her to her waist (I always put her in pants though... you could make the 'veil' longer if you have to keep him in shorts.) It kept the sunlight from directly shining on her, but the breeze cold still blow through. She didn't get a single sunburn, even though we spent at least 3-4 hours outside every day. It also helps to punch holes in the hat, so the body heat from his head can escape. :)

1 / 3