1-Yr. Old Spitting Up

My daughter just turned 1 last week. She was exclusively breastfed up til the 11 month. She is currently brestfed and taking whole milk (which she loves). She pretty much eats everything in sight. I am a little concern because it seems she has been spitting up more frequently the past couple of weeks. She see the doctor on Monday, but I was wondering if any other parent deals or ever dealt with issue. The only thing that has changed in her diet is I just introduced her to 100 % juice, which I don't give her frequently. I was thinking of changing her milk to organic whole milk. Any suggestions or advice?

Hi D.,

What you described to sounds to me like she may be lactose intolerant. It's good you are taking her to the drs... try her on some soy milk and she how she does.

Good Luck,
Elizabethville PA

Hi D.,

Your daughter may be a little sensitive to the cows milk. It is much harder to digest than breastmilk. You can try mixing it with your breast milk so that she isn't getting so much all at once. You can also try Rice milk or Soy milk which can be easier for her to digest. Rice milk is very thin and sweet and much more similar to breast milk in taste and consistency - so she may have an easier time digesting that. Has anything else changed in her diet? Hopefully your pediatrician will have some good advice as well.

Congrats on breastfeeding your daughter until she was 1 - that is a great milestone!

If you think it may be the juice, why are you thinking of changing the milk? I am asking because it seems you may think it's the milk and not the juice. I do not give my son milk except soymilk. He started with soy when he was young and he loves it...prefers it to cow's milk. I read up on the problems with milk and dairy products and decided to give them up for the most part. I found this site http://www.milksucks.com/sickkids.asp. I am also a personal trainer and have learned that milk and dairy products actually leach calcium from our bones instead of helping to build our bones. I no longer recommend my clients use dairy products to get the calcium they need. The site above has some great info. If you notice all the ads and posters promoting milk and dairy at the doctor's offices and on TV are ran by or supported by the American Dairy Counsel...of course, they are going to promote their own product.

Maybe it is the milk that is causing the problem. But maybe not. I just thought you might like to have this info.

Maybe she is having trouble digesting the milk. She might be sensitive to it. I wonder if soy milk would work better until her digestive system matures more.

Hi D.,

Good Luck,
Elizabethville PA

Please if you are going to give your daughter cows milk eliminate the hormones and antibiotics by giving her organic milk.

Before you go the expensive organic way try 2% milk instead. If you haven't given her any yogurt (like yoplat thick & creamy style) try that as well. If she is just spitting up she might just be drinking to fast as well. Hang in there!!

don't know anything specific - but suggestion i have is: try watering down her juice.

also - has she been really active since you put her on "real food" and milk - sometimes if they are really active (running; walking etc) and their diets change then they get almost nauseaus (spelling??) - just a thought. Also try to pay attention - and maybe take noties as to when she spits us and how long it is since she ate and what she ate - maybe you can find a pattern...

Good Luck and God Bless - S. W

My son was eating a lot of different foods by age 1. This seems strange to me. I don't know if it is a new fad or what. Maybe you should switch to soy milk, or rice milk, instead of whole milk. You shouldn't feed just milk though, your child needs balanced nutrition. If you don't feed your child food yet, you should start her on baby cereal and formula mixed in it first. A baby has to get used to eating solid foods, slowly. Talk to your physician about it. Also consider, people aren't meant to drink a cows milk, naturally. Your child is prob. showing a marked intolerance to it. That is why I suggest rice or soy. http://www.milksucks.com/ There is some info on that at that site. Good luck.

1 / 3