1-Year Shots

I'm taking my 1-year-old daughter into the pediatrician today for her 1-year well visit. She's scheduled to have shots--I forgot to ask which ones--and I'm having the usual hesitation about vaccinations. Do any of you have thoughts about shots? Are there any alternatives? Whenever I've tried doing research online I've found there are so many messages out there and it's hard to sort through and know which ones are trustworthy. Any advice?

My 1 year old just had his vaccines a few weeks ago. He received the prevnar and hep A vaccines. My doctor said at 15 months he's due for the chicken pox vaccine and the MMR vaccine. The MMR is the one that causes the most concern for me, since it's the one in the news that people associate with autism. I expressed my concern to his doctor, and she said she had no problem delaying his MMR vaccine until he was two years old if I would feel better to do that. From what I've read, sometimes delaying the vaccines is suggested, so that's what we're planning to do. Hope this helps.

I have 4 daughters and would like to say I had my 2 oldest vaccinated and my 2 youngest only had baby shots because I didnt know anybetter.I went to a class on vaccinations and decided not to get any more.It is a personal choice that you should read up on.As for the people who said its mandatory for school there are waivers for that...as for those who say discus it with your doctor be careful of that also.Most doctors are for it and will pressure you to do it because that is what they are paid to do.

mostly everything you do or don't do in life can cause something bad to happen. even on tylenol there are warnings. anytime you have even the most routine things done, it may end up disasterous. but thankfully i fully vaccinated both my kids 4 and 5 and have had no problems. i read all the responses here and most of the educated responses say the same thing....do what you feel is best and take full responsibility for your actions.....do as much research as possible to make your own educated decision. the whole thing is really scary and the more you read the more horrible things you find out about shots and vaccinations. no we didn't need so many when we were younger, but the average life span of a person was much younger than it is now. people are living longer and staying healthier now a days. good luck

I had doubts to but I talked with my doctor and she said that the shots are better than getting what they protect you from. It causes a little pain at the time but soon after you pick up the little one they soon forget and are ok. I was also told that you can give them some pain reliever right before the appointment to ease any pain and discomfort after the shots. Good luck at the pediatrician today.

Hello, Please check out this website it will give you the best info on shots. Generationrescue.com You are right to have hesitations, and please know that it is not the "law" that you have to have your children vaccinated!

M.,

There is an alternative schedule out there for immunizations. Look on the web for it. I was startled to find out via Jenny McCarthy on Larry King last week that in 1983 children only received 10 immunizations that is it....now there are 26. What is up with that? Which one are unnecesary and only give the drug companies a profit? Your pediatrician will try to tell you that there are no real findings that immunizations are harmful...but there was just a lawsuit settled where a little girl had her MMR immunization and got really sick and is now autistic. They called it vaccine injury and her parents won. Unfortunately, both of my boys have had all of there immunizations thus far(ages 21/2 & 5). I feel guilty that I did not question it more. If I had another baby, I would have them tested for immunity problems before they would get any vaccines and then I would use the alternate vaccine schedule and only do what I feel is necessary. Go with your gut instinct. You can always change your mind and do any immunizations later but once they have them...they have them. Also, make sure if you do have her get them...she is not sick at the time. If she is wait....

In response to J G's post...all kids with autism DO NOT have a genetic link....that is incorrect. There would not be the controversy that there now is if that was the case. It is a behavior-based diagnosis I believe many with no genetic disposition. And just to clarify, all I was saying about the girl who won her case was that she was diagnosed with VACCINE INJURY which did lead to Austistic behavior. It is better to listen to the parents from Austism Speaks(there is a website for this group) who this has happened to. The health care "Professionals" do not have an answer for why there is such a dramatic rise in Autism Spectrum Disorders. SCARY

I would get the shots done. I think they get 1-2 shots. I think my son got 2 shots. They help prevent so many things. If they werent needed I dont think the drs would give them. We received them when we were little and we turned out fine. Sometimes you cant always believe what you read. you have to go with your gut feeling. If the shots were harmful then the FDA would have stopped them from coming out. Good luck! Keep getting them done. From now on its just once a year tehy get shots.

If you are unsure, do not hesitate to delay until your next visit. It is much better to make an informed decision, than to be pressured into doing it and not having all the facts. The Vaccine Book -- by Robert Sears -- is a good resource. And by the way, the point about the autistic girl having a pre-existing condition made below -- it is my understanding that all kids with autism have a genetic disposition; however, there are environmental triggers that bring it on (one theory is vaccinations).

for me it has nothing to do with the reaction at the time of of getting a little prick in the office. It is the bigger picture. I have researched extensively. Between research & my childrens previous reations (along with my own & the death of my brother) I have decided against anymore.

I frequently read the CDCs Pink Book on the dieases & frankly not much of it scares me......not enough to potentially inflict another brain surgery on my daughter anyway.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/pink-chapters.htm

My kids all just got over the chicken pox a week ago (I searched it out). I am happy they all have natural immunity now & it was NO big deal.

There is so much more to it than what your ped tells you ....which is, 'they are perfectly safe'.

If your instinct is telling you not to do it...go with your gut. But I know I am the minority. You have to do what is best for your child & your family.

D.~ SAHM to b/g twins (5y/o) & a 2.5 y/o little girl

1 / 3