1-Month Old Eating Too Much?

I have a 4 week old that is eating so much it is unbelievable. He is eating 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours; sometimes it is only 2 hours. He gained almost a full 3 pounds in the first 3 weeks that we were home (came home at 7lb 4oz and after 3 weeks was 9lb 1oz). My daughter was a preemie and started out on neosure formula (higher calorie and other nutrients) and when she started gaining 2lbs a month our peditrician said that she was gaining too much and cut her back to regular formula. Since we are on the regular formula this time, we can't switch to the lower calorie. Should I start adding a bit of water during those times that he wants to eat after only 2 hours or just keep letting him down the formula?

Has anyone else had a child that ate this much? What did your peditrician tell you? (we see ours in about 2 weeks)

My son was a big baby and he too ate a lot. Babies will eat as much as you let them. Yes they can over eat, my Dr. told me to give him a few ounces of water between feedings. I cut back to 6ozs and the funny thing is he never wanted more, but could he 8ozs if I let him. Unhealthy over weight kids start when they are babies. They learn their eating habits, they aren't born with them.

My son gained a pound a week for the first couple months (started at 8lbs.) He eventually slowed down and is completely normal. 90% for length and 55% for weight. Like others have said, at this age they eat when they're hungry and stop when they've had enough.

At this age feed him as much as he wants. Don't limit his food. Think about how much he will grow in the first year. He needs all the food he wants. Good luck.
Chris

Your newborn isn't eating too much. I had a large baby, and a lot of people commented on his size. My husband is a big guy, so of course I wasn't going to have a little baby. Do not add water! Water has no nutrients for babies. My doctor told me that babies are not designed to over eat. Just keep giving your baby formula.

He's not eating too much at all. And if your Dr. says that he is, don't listen. Feed your child when he's hungry. My son ate constantly, too. My Dr. told me I could give him pediasure in between to try and tide him over, but I just let him eat when he was hungry. He's a healthy 4 year old now, with good eating habits and isn't overweight. My son at 4-6 six weeks would sometimes drink 8-10 oz every 4 hours or so! So just keep letting him eat. As long as he seems happy, it's just fine.

In my experience, your son is just fine. My first was tall and thin, and didn't eat nearly as much as my new "little" guy. The newest (now 8 months) is going to be my line backer I think, LOL. I had purchased 4 oz bottles for him and it was a complete waste of money - within 2-3 weeks we were well beyond the 4 oz bottle. I had concerns about how much he ate also and our doctor's words were, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." He said that babies regulate themselves and are not indulgent, meaning they won't eat just to eat, like adults do. This was a whole new experience for me because this guy has rolls in his rolls! Well, of couse it's not quite that bad, but the kid is just 8 months and wieghs 23 pounds! (He is off the charts for his height also, so it's not all pudge.) My 3 year old is only 34 pounds! Dr says that the weight he has is perfectly normal and will come off as he starts crawling and walking. I have already noticed his face thinning out. So you may be like us and have one thin baby and another roly-poly. That worst part about it is powdering all those rolls after a bath. The bath takes 5 minutes, it's another half-hour to powder & dress, LOL.

Oh, and I wouldn't add water to the formula. They used to give babies water and they found that it sometimes threw off the balance of electrolytes in their bodies. That's why they don't do it anymore. They found they just didn't need it. (At least that's what the Dr told us.) Good luck to you, and don't worry about it. I'm sure they'll tell you he's fine!

My daughter was 9.4 when she was born and ate 4 to 5 ounces maybe even more ever 2 to 3 hours. She was 11 pounds by her two week apt. and 15 pound by her 2 month apt. She is just a big baby, our doctor has asured us that she is very health in the 98% weight and length. It sounds like you have gone from an itty bitty to a chunker but at this age one isn't better than the other. If he is hungry feed him. He has growing to do and he'll even all out eventualy.

My son gained that much and so did my neice. But, their weight gain was proportionate to their height. My son is 9 months and weighs almost 23lbs and is 29 1/2inches long. He is consistently in the 90th percentile for height and weight. My neice is off the charts, but again her height and weight are proportionate. I would not add water unless adviced by the pediatrician. I thought my son was eating too much also, but it turns out he is just a big baby. =) Hope this helps.

IMO, that is not too much. Babies usually know how much their little bodies need. Is he fussy? If not, I wouldn't worry about the dr.'s chart.

My kids always drank at least 8 ounces every two and half to three hours. I would talk with the doc and make sure it's okay to cut back. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

1 / 3